10.1571, Sum: Code Switching/Addendum

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 20 22:46:19 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1571. Wed Oct 20 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1571, Sum: Code Switching/Addendum

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 20 Oct 1999 07:43:27 -0200
From:  Sophie ALBY <alby at cayenne.ird.fr>
Subject:  code switching

Date:  Wed, 20 Oct 1999 07:43:27 -0200
From:  Sophie ALBY <alby at cayenne.ird.fr>

I've received some more messages in answer to :

"I am presently doing some doctoral work on language contact french-kali'na
(an amerindian language spoken in French Guiana - Carib family) and I'm
looking for informations on the distinction between code-shifting /
code-switching / code-mixing."

I could not answer to everyone so I have to thank them throught this mail.

As a summary here are the other references I received :

*Bhatia, Tej K. and William C. Ritchie. 1996. Bilingual language mixing,
universal grammarm, and second language acquisition. Handbook of second
language acquisition (eds. Ritchie and Bhatia), pp. 627-688. San Diego:
Academic Press.

- ---------------------------------------------------. 1999. Language mixing
and second language acquisition.  The Development of Second Language
Grammars (eds.Elaine C. Klein and Gita Martohardjono), pp. 241-267.
Amsterdam: John Bejamins Publishing Co.

Ritchie, William C. and Tej K. Bhatia. 1999. Codeswitching, Grammar, and
Sentence Production. The Development of Second Language Grammars (eds.Elaine
C. Klein and Gita Martohardjono), pp. 269-287.
Amsterdam: John Bejamins Publishing Co.
pp. 269-287.

*the volume perspective on arabic linguistics ix, ed. mushira eid and dilworth
parkinson, johns benjamin, 1996
has a section of three papers devoted to code switching in arabic,
including one by myers-scotton, et al., entitled "arabic and constraints
on codeswitching."  and one by me (david wilmsen) entitled "codeswitching,
codemixing, and borrowing in the spoken arabic of a theatrical community in
cairo."

*The work you cite as Toribio & Rubin (ms.) has appeared in print: in A.
Roca & J. Jensen (eds.) Spanish in Contact, Cascadilla Press, 1996.

There is also a large body of literature on child bilingualism that
addresses the issue of mixing vs. code-switching. The general claim is that
mixing is what is done prior to the differentiation of two languages, and
code-switching requires two full systems.

*Japanese/English Code-switching: Syntax and Pragmatics.  Peter Lang.
1997.

The book provides evidence for the distinction between cs and borrowing
as well.
Many previous researhers believe that intrasentential cs does not take
place when the word order is not shared.  I argued against this for many
years.  I hope you will look at my analysis and the one by Mahootian and
Santorini.

Mahootian, S. and Santorini, B.  1996.  Code-switching the
complement/adjunct distinction.  Linguistics Inquiry 27:3. 464-479.

You can also see my work in the following:

A functional analysis of Japanese/English code-switching.  J. of
Pragmatics, 23, 151-87. 1995.

Varietal conditioning in Japanese/English code-switching.  Lang.
Sciences 17, 123-145. 1995.