10.1579, All: New Jobs Information Network Page

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 21 17:49:43 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1579. Thu Oct 21 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1579, All: New Jobs Information Network Page

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:30:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Helen Aristar Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Subject:  Jobs Information Network Page, Volunteers Needed

Date:  Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:30:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Helen Aristar Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>

	Dear Subscribers,

	As you know, LINGUIST is a rich source of information about jobs
	in linguistics and related fields. We are aware that many of you
	depend on us to provide a current list of available positions. We
	have, however, received a number of complaints about ads that (1)
	are misleading or (2) have wording that is discriminatory by US
	standards.

	This has put us in something of a quandary. We are an
	international organization, and we realize that standards differ
        in different countries.  Moreover, we don't want to conceal any job
	opportunities from the linguistics community.  Many job-seekers
	might want to apply for the positions in question even if they
	thoroughly understood the job conditions. For these reasons and
	others (e.g., our lack of firsthand knowledge, both of job conditions
	and relevant laws),  we want to continue our open jobs-posting
	policy.

	However, we are unequivocally in favor of providing as much
	information as possible to job-seekers, so that they can make
	informed decisions.  So we have come up with an idea that we
	hope will partially address these difficulties.  It will also,
        we believe, provide a useful ancillary service quite apart from
        any problems it solves.

	We are starting a Jobs Information Network page, where people
	with knowledge of employment conditions in different countries will
	be listed, along with their email addresses.  Our job
	announcements will include a link to this page, and job-seekers will
	be encouraged to contact these linguists for information.  These
	well-travelled linguists might offer information about general working
	conditions, mores, applicaton procedures, and so forth, in the
	countries they know--furnishing the kind of advice that many
	international job-seekers would appreciate, whether or not they
	have any fears about job discrimination.

	We need volunteers to act as consultants. If you would be willing to
	provide this valuable service to your fellow linguists, please let me
	know at

	hdry at linguistlist.org

	and let me know which country or countries you can represent.

	Needless to say, we are seeking individuals willing to discuss the
	US job market with job-seekers from abroad, as well as those able
	to explain non-US job procedures to Americans.

	And, as always, we appreciate your suggestions as well as your
	help.

	Helen, Anthony, Andrew
	Moderators, LINGUIST