10.1592, Qs: Lang. & Dominance, ESL "rainbow passage"

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Oct 23 01:32:02 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1592. Fri Oct 22 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1592, Qs: Lang. & Dominance,  ESL "rainbow passage"

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Naomi Ogasawara <naomi at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:09:39 -0500
From:  Ludmila Dutkova <ldutkova at sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu>
Subject:  language and dominance

2)
Date:  Fri, 22 Oct 1999 17:34:32 EDT
From:  Cor9999 at aol.com
Subject:  ESL "rainbow passage"

Date:  Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:09:39 -0500
From:  Ludmila Dutkova <ldutkova at sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu>

Dear LINGUIST subscribers:

I am posting this inquiry on behalf of a visiting Russian scholar.
She is interested in the expressions of dominance and power through
language, especially in political discourse. What she needs most is access
to data/transcripts. My advice to her was to watch and tape political
debates and presidential campaign speeches on TV, but I wonder whether
there is some kind of database available that she could use instead or as
well. I would very much appreciate your input. Please reply off list to
ldutkova at olemiss.edu.

Thank you very much.
Lida Dutkova

Lida Dutkova
Assistant Professor in TESOL
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
School of Education rm. 210
University of Mississippi
University, MS 38677
Office: (662) 915-7915