10.1601, Sum: Graduate Lexical Semantics Text/Reading

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 25 02:50:48 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1601. Sun Oct 24 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1601, Sum: Graduate Lexical Semantics Text/Reading

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 24 Oct 1999 18:12:06 -0700 (MST)
From:  Heidi Harley <hharley at U.Arizona.EDU>
Subject:  Graduate Course in  Lexical Semantics: Readings Request

Date:  Sun, 24 Oct 1999 18:12:06 -0700 (MST)
From:  Heidi Harley <hharley at U.Arizona.EDU>

Dear linguist,

As always, I'm amazed by the generosity of linguists in general and
those named below in particular; in response to my global
appeal (Linguist 10.1459.3), I received a great deal of useful
information from many very busy people. In particular, thanks to Tova
Ropoport, David Stringer and Andrew McIntyre for long, thoughtful
courses they've run. Chilin Shih points me to Bhuvana Narasimhan's
dissertation as a good source for lexical-semantic discussion of a
language other than English (in this case, Hindi). Otherwise there's
not much obviously non-English stuff on the list. Below I give the
references to the dissertations, books and articles that were
suggested to me, alphabetized. There are a couple of readings I'm
considering including that were not among those suggested; in a week
or two I should have my preliminary syllabus together and I'll be
happy to email that to anyone who's interested, just send me a
note. (Those who've already asked me don't need to do so again, at
least, if I've got my act together the way I think I have you don't).

Thanks to:

Bill Morris <wmorris at cs.ucsd.edu>
Pamela Faber <pfaber at redestb.es>
Hans Boas <hcb at email.unc.edu>
John McNaught <jock at ccl.umist.ac.uk>
J.W. Holmes <J.W.Holmes at let.rug.nl>
Annabel Cormack <annabel at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>
David Stringer <david.stringer at durham.ac.uk>
Rebecca S. Wheeler <rwheeler at cnu.edu>
Chilin Shih <cls at research.bell-labs.com>
Andrew McIntyre <mcintyre at rz.uni-leipzig.de>
Tova Rapoport" <tovarap at bgumail.bgu.ac.il>
Pedro Urena Rib <p.urena.rib at codetel.net.do>

Please send me any further comments or suggestions, and thanks very much
for the time and energy of those who replied.

Best,
Heidi Harley

Dissertations:

Cormack, Annabel 'Definitions: implications for syntax, semantics, and the
Language of Thought' Garland 1998

Narasimhan, Bhuvaneswari, 1998, The Encoding of Complex Events in Hindi
and English, dissertation from Boston University.

Pedro Urena Rib, Une dmarche scientifique pour llaboration dune pdagogie
de lenseignement des langues adapte  la Carabe.

Books:

Butt, M. and Geuder, W. (eds.), 1998. The Projection of Arguments:
Lexical and Compositional Factors. Stanford, CA: CSLI.

Faber, Pamela and Ricardo Mairal Uson 1999. Constructing a Lexicon of
English Verbs. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.

Fodor, J.A., 1998. Concepts: Where Cognitive Science Went Wrong. Oxford:
Clarendon Press.

Frawley, W. 1992 'Linguistic Semantics' (Lawrence Earlbaum)

Goddard, Cliff (1998): Semantic Analysis. OUP.

Goldberg, Adele E.  1995.  A Construction Grammar Approach to  Argument
Structure.  Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Hudson, Dick (1995): Word Meaning. London: Routledge

Jackendoff, R., 1983. Semantics and Cognition. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.

Jackendoff, R., 1990. Semantic Structures. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.

Kageyama, T. (ed.), 1997. Verb Semantics and Syntactic Structure. Tokyo:
Kurosio Publishers.

Lappin, S.(ed.), 1996. The Handbook of Contemporary Semantic Theory.
Oxford: Blackwell.

Levin, B. and Pinker, S. (eds.), 1991. Lexical and Conceptual Semantics.
Oxford: Blackwell.

Pinker, S., 1989. Learnability and Cognition: The Acquisition of
Argument Structure. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.

Saeed, John I. (1997) Semantics. Oxford: Blackwell.

Online Bibliography:

Go to: http://www.ilc.pi.cnr.it/EAGLES/browse.html, then scroll down to
the table giving reports of the EAGLES comp lex working group and download
rep4.ps    (hh's note: I had some trouble with this file, but the
webmaster's been notified and it should be fixed soon).

Articles/Chapters:

Dowty, David R. 1979. Word Meaning and Montague Grammar. Reidel,
Dordrecht. Chapter 2: The Semantics of Aspectual Classes of Verbs in
English. 37-132.

Emonds, J.E., 1991. Subcategorization and syntax-based theta-role
assignment. Natural Language and Linguistic Theory 9: 369-429.

Erteschik-Shir, Nomi and T.R. Rapoport. 1997. "A Theory of Verbal
Projection". In G. Matos et al. (eds.), Interfaces in Linguistic Theory.
APL/Edicoes Colibri, Lisboa.129-148.

Goldberg, Adele E. 1995. Constructions. University of Chicago Press,
Chicago. Chapter 7:  The English Caused-Motion Construction. 152-179.

Grimshaw, Jane. 1993. "Semantic Structure and Semantic Content in Lexical
Representation". Unpublished ms. Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ.

Hale, Ken and J. Keyser. 1997. "On the Complex Nature of Simple
Predicators". In A. Alsina, J. Bresnan, and P. Sells (eds.), Complex
Predicates. CSLI Publications, Stanford, CA. 29-65.

Harley, H. (ed). (1998) "Papers from the UPenn/MIT Roundtable on Argument
Structure and Aspect", MITWPL 32.

Hoekstra, Teun. 1992. "Aspect and Theta Theory". In I.M. Roca (ed.),
Thematic Structure: Its Role in Grammar. de Gruyter, Berlin. 145-174.

Jackendoff, R. 1991 'Parts and Boundaries' Cognition 41 (same as
Levin&Pinker edited volume, cited above)

Jackendoff, R. 1996. "The proper treatment of measuring out, telicity and
perhaps even quantification in English," NLLT vol. 14 no. 2 pp 305-54

Jackendoff, R., 1993. On the role of conceptual structure in argument
selection: A reply to Emonds. Natural Language and Linguistic Theory 11:
279-312.

Levin, B. and T. Rapoport. 1986. Lexical Subordination. In CLS 24,
275-289.

Levin, Beth and Malka Rappaport Hovav. 1992. "The Lexical Semantics of
Verbs of Motion:  The Perspective from Unaccusativity". In I.M. Roca
(ed.), Thematic Structure: Its Role in Grammar. de Gruyter, Berlin.
247-269.

Levin, Beth. 1993. "Introduction: The Theoretical Perspective". In B.
Levin, English Verb Classes and Alternations: A Preliminary Investigation.
University of Chicago Press, Chicago.  1-19.

Mittwoch, Anita. 1991. "In Defence of Vendler's Achievements". Belgian
Journal of Linguistics:6.71-85.

Pustejovsky, James. 1991. "The Syntax of Event Structure". Cognition 41.
47-81.

Rappaport Hovav, Malka and Beth Levin. 1998. "Building Verb Meanings". In
M. Butt and W.  Geuder, eds., The Projection of Arguments: Lexical and
Compositional Factors. CSLI Publications, Stanford, Calif. 97-134.

Rappaport, Malka, Mary Laughren, and Beth Levin. 1987. "Levels of Lexical
Representation". Lexicon Project Working Papers 20. Center for Cognitive
Science. M.I.T., Cambridge, Mass.

Ritter, Elizabeth and Sara T. Rosen. 1996. "Strong and Weak Predicates:
Reducing the Lexical Burden." Linguistic Analysis 26. 29-62.

Ritter, Elizabeth and Sara T. Rosen. 1998. "Delimiting Events in Syntax",
in M. Butt and W. Geuder, eds., The Projection of Arguments: Lexical and
Compositional Factors. CSLI Publications, Stanford, Calif. 135-164.

Talmy, L., 1985. Lexicalization patterns: semantic structure in lexical
forms. In T. Shopen (ed.), Language Typology and Syntactic  Description,
Vol.3: Grammatical Categories and the Lexicon, 57-149. Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press.

Tenny, Carol L. 1992. "The Aspectual Interface Hypothesis". In I.A. Sag
and A. Szabolcsi, eds., Lexical Matters. CSLI Publications, Stanford
University, Stanford, Calif. 1-27.

Tortora, Christina M. 1998. "Verbs of Inherently Directed Motion are
Compatible with Resultative Phrases". Linguistic Inquiry 29:2. 338-345.

van Voorst, Jan. 1994. "The Role of Verb Meaning in the Calculation of
Aspectual Interpretations." Euralex.

Vendler, Zeno. 1967. "Verbs and Times". Chapter 4 of Linguistics in
Philosophy. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, New York. 97-121.

Wheeler,  Rebecca S. (1995a).  Understand  in Conceptual Semantics.
Berkeley Linguistics Society   21.

Wheeler, Rebecca S. (1995b). Beyond 'try to find':  The syntax and
semantics of search  and analyze.  Chicago Linguistic Society  31.

Wheeler, Rebecca S. (1996). Will the real search verbs please stand up?
Chicago Linguistic Society   32.

Heidi Harley					(520) 626-3554
Department of Linguistics			hharley at u.arizona.edu
Douglass 200E					Fax: (520) 626-9014