10.1610, Sum: Cyber-linguistic Questions

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 26 16:21:55 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1610. Tue Oct 26 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1610, Sum: Cyber-linguistic Questions

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 24 Oct 1999 17:59:49 +0900
From:  Larry Chong(µÎȯ)<chongld at ns.kyongju.ac.kr>
Subject:  Cyber-linguistic Questions

Date:  Sun, 24 Oct 1999 17:59:49 +0900
From:  Larry Chong(µÎȯ)<chongld at ns.kyongju.ac.kr>

Dear Sir & Madam,

Great thanks for you kind answers to my poor question.

I would like to thank you again, everyone!
 magura at ares.fils.us.edu.pl <magura at ares.fils.us.edu.pl>;
Barbara Schrammel <barbara.schrammel at kfunigraz.ac.at>;
 Frank Joosten <frank.joosten at arts.kuleuven.ac.be>;
Lotfi at www.dci.co.ir <Lotfi at www.dci.co.ir>;
Dr Kormi Anipa <tordia at hotmail.com>; suying yang <syang at net1.hkbu.edu.hk>;
R?y Viredaz <remy.viredaz at span.ch>;
Deborah D K Ruuskanen <druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi>;
mchale at textwise.com <mchale at textwise.com>;
Michael McHale <mchale at twcny.rr.com>;
zhwinston at 163.net <zhwinston at 163.net>;
Travis Bradley <tgb114 at psu.edu>

Your comments are summarized as follows:

>1. Why netizns love to use as many acronyms as they could?
 >Ex) By the way --->BTW

****the tendency toward the use of reduced forms may reflect the
importance of minimizing the effort required to communicate one's message.
The pace of communicative exchange in such an environment is pretty rapid,
especially among those who are "veteran" users and who feel they belong to
an online community or communities, such as a an IRC channel.

**** to show their strong ties....
         linguistic economy

 >2. Why it occurs all over the sentences?
 >Ex) How are you? -->How R U?

This particular example is a good example of the minimal effort factor.
Since the pronunciation of the letters 'R' and 'U' are equivalent to the
words 'are' and 'you', then use of the letters would allow one to get the
same message across with only two keystrokes instead of six. This may not
seem like that big a difference, but when one is talking to several people
in the same channel or separately, things tend to become very fast-paced.
So anything that can be done to "say more with less" is definitely a plus.

>3. How we could classify these phenomena?

Werry (1996), which I discuss in my paper, has proposed a few categories
for classifying the types of linguistic modifications that take place in IWD.

Travis shoed a phonological model, thanks again!http://www.personal.psu.edu/tgb114

Frank did give me a nice model, it is wonderful!

1. Graphemic abbreviations (graphemic means: abbreviation only on paper;
when spoken, you use the base form) e.g.: viz., etc., i.e., e.g.

2. Graphonemic abbreviations: the abbreviated form is used in written and
spoken language and can be situated on a phonemic level (e.g. GATT
pronounced as 'get') or on a level in between the graphemic and the
phonemic level (e.g. CIA pronounced as 'see-ai-ei' (and not as one word
('seeya'). Graphonemic is thus the hyperonym of these two cases.

>4. How we can foretell its future of language behavior in cyber communities?

Everyone is not really sure about this one, and not really up on the literature
enough to tell.

But I am sure that the more time netizens spend on line(CMC), the more
topics we will have to research and resolve.

Larry Dwan Chong,Ph.D.

Dean & Professor
School of Foreign Languages & Tourism
Kyongju University