10.1618, Qs: English Subjunctive, Cyber-linguistics

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 28 15:11:50 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1618. Thu Oct 28 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1618, Qs: English Subjunctive, Cyber-linguistics

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:51:51 -0700 (MST)
From:  Paul N Strominger <pns at U.Arizona.EDU>
Subject:  English 'subjunctive'

2)
Date:  Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:01:51 +0900
From:  Larry Chong(µÎȯ)<chongld at ns.kyongju.ac.kr>
Subject:  Cyber-linguistic Features

Date:  Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:51:51 -0700 (MST)
From:  Paul N Strominger <pns at U.Arizona.EDU>

Regarding these constructions:

1)  I suggest that he do it.

Could anyone supply a reference to any treatment in the literature, no
matter how obscure?  The problem is, how does \he\ get case in 1). I would
also appreciate any suggestions and/or examples from languages which
contain constructions that might conceivably be related to 1). The family
of verbs in English that behave like 1) includes (prefer, intend, demand,
propose).

Thanks, Paul Strominger
        pns at u.arizona.edu