10.1644, Sum: for Query:10.1459.3 Lexical Semantics Readings

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 31 21:23:24 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1644. Sun Oct 31 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1644, Sum: for Query:10.1459.3 Lexical Semantics Readings

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: James Yuells <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 31 Oct 1999 01:15:14 -0700 (MST)
From:  Heidi Harley <hharley at U.Arizona.EDU>
Subject:  Summary #2: Lexical Semantics Readings Request, from Linguist list  volume 10.1459.3

Date:  Sun, 31 Oct 1999 01:15:14 -0700 (MST)
From:  Heidi Harley <hharley at U.Arizona.EDU>

Dear linguists,

Many folks who'd missed my original posting asking for lexical semantics
readings saw the later one summarizing the responses to the first -- and
in a further burst of generous energy, wrote with many further
suggestions. I'd just digest these and keep them to myself, but it really
seems like the only thing to do is share the wealth, especially
considering how much of it there is. Below is a follow-up
to the follow-up, summarizing the new suggestions for readings. Special
thanks go to to Beth Levin and Chris Kennedy for their respective syllabi
and extensive discussion. Thanks to Doug Davison for forwarding the URL
for Mari Olsen and Philip Resnik's web page with their syllabus. Sabine
Bartsch and David Anderson also suggested items I hadnt yet heard about.
	Below is the entire crop of readings, including those in my
original posting; there was remarkably little overlap. If it matters to
you, the already-posted readings are indicated by > signs preceding them
(the magic of forwarding). The coverage is now considerably broader, and
the list has more than doubled in size. I hope you all find it of use, I
know I certainly will.

All the best,
hh

Heidi Harley
hharley at u.arizona.edu
Department of Linguistics				http:
w3.arizona.edu/~ling/hh
University of Arizona					(520)626-3554
Douglass 200E
Tucson, AZ 85721-0028

Atkins, Beryl T., Judy Kegl, and Beth Levin.  1986.  "Explicit and
implicit information in dictionaries."  Lexicon project working papers 12.

Baker, M. (1997) ``Thematic Roles and Syntactic Structure'' in L.
Haegeman, ed., Elements of Grammar: Handbook of Generative Syntax, Kluwer,
Dordrecht, 73-137.

Baker, Mark.  In Liliane Haegeman, ed.  The handbook of generative syntax.

Bloom, Paul.  1994.  Possible names: The role of syntax-semantics mappings
in the acquisition of nominals.  Lingua 92:297-329. (acquisition)

> Butt, M. and Geuder, W. (eds.), 1998. The Projection of Arguments:
> Lexical and Compositional Factors. Stanford, CA: CSLI.

Carlson, G. 1991. Natural Kinds and Common Nouns. In von Stechow, A. & D.
Wunderlich (eds.) Semantik: Ein internationales Handbuch der
zeitgenssischen Forschung. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.

Chomsky, Noam.  1965.  Aspects of the theory of syntax.  Cambridge, MA:
MIT, chapter 2:63-127, chapter 4:148-192.

Copestake, Ann and Alex Lascarides.  1997.  Integrating symbolic and
statistical representations: The lexicon pragmatic interface. Proceedings
of ACL-97, EACL97, pp. 136-150.

> Cormack, Annabel 'Definitions: implications for syntax, semantics, and
the
> Language of Thought' Garland 1998

Croft, W.A. (1991) Syntactic Categories and Grammatical Relations,
University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.  Chapter 4 and Sections 5.1-5.3.

Croft, W.A. (1991) Syntactic Categories and Grammatical Relations,
University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.

Cruse, D.A. Lexical semantics. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press,
1986. - [415]p cased (Cambridge textbooks in linguistics) ISBN
0-521-27643-8

Dixon, R.M.W. (1991) A New Approach to English Grammar, On Semantic
Principles, Oxford University Press, Oxford.

Dorr, Bonnie J.  1993.  Machine translation:  A view from the lexicon.
Cambridge, MA:  MIT Press, chapters 4 and 5.

> Dowty, David R. 1979. Word Meaning and Montague Grammar. Reidel,
> Dordrecht. Chapter 2: The Semantics of Aspectual Classes of Verbs in
> English. 37-132.

Dowty, D.R. (1991) ``Thematic Proto-Roles and Argument Selection'',
Language 67, 547-619.

Embick, David.  1997.  "Voice systems and the syntax/morphology
interface."  To appear in H. Harley, ed.  The proceedings of the Penn/MIT
workshop on aspect, argument structure and events, May 1997, MITWPL.
(middle, passive, Modern Greek)

> Emonds, J.E., 1991. Subcategorization and syntax-based theta-role
> assignment. Natural Language and Linguistic Theory 9: 369-429.

> Erteschik-Shir, Nomi and T.R. Rapoport. 1997. "A Theory of Verbal
> Projection". In G. Matos et al. (eds.), Interfaces in Linguistic Theory.
> APL/Edicoes Colibri, Lisboa.129-148.

> Faber, Pamela and Ricardo Mairal Uson 1999. Constructing a Lexicon of
> English Verbs. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.

Fillmore, Charles J.  1970.  "The grammar of hitting and breaking." R. A.
Jacobs and P. S. Rosenbaum, eds.  Readings in transformational grammar.
Waltham, MA:  Ginn & Co.

> Fodor, J.A., 1998. Concepts: Where Cognitive Science Went Wrong. Oxford:
> Clarendon Press.

Foley, W.A. and R.D. Van Valin, Jr. (1984) Functional Syntax and Universal
Grammar, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.  Sections 2.3-2.5, 36-53.

> Frawley, W. 1992 'Linguistic Semantics' (Lawrence Earlbaum)

Frege, G. 1948 (1892). Sense and Reference. Elizabeth and Sara T. Rosen.
1996. "Strong and Weak Predicates:
> Reducing the Lexical Burden." Linguistic Analysis 26. 29-62.
>
> Ritter, Elizabeth and Sara T. Rosen. 1998. "Delimiting Events in
Syntax",
> in M. Butt and W. Geuder, eds., The Projection of Arguments: Lexical and
 Compositional Factors. CSLI Publications, Stanford, Calif. 135-164.

Rizzi, Luigi.  1986.  Null objects in Italian and the theory of pro.
Linguistic Inquiry 17.3:501-557. (implicit arguments)

> Saeed, John I. (1997) Semantics. Oxford: Blackwell.

Sapir, E. 1944. Grading: A Study in Semantics. Philosophy of Science
11:93-116.

Shibatani, Masayoshi.  1985.  Passives and related constructions:  A
prototype analysis.  Langauge 61.4:821-848.

Slobin, D.I. (1996) ``Two Ways to Travel: Verbs of Motion in English and
Spanish'', in M. Shibatani and S.A. Thompson, eds., Grammatical
Constructions: Their Form and Meaning, Oxford University Press, Oxford,
195-219.

Stowell, Tim and Eric Wehrli.  1992.  "Introduction."  T. Stowell and E.
Wehrli, eds.  Syntax and the lexicon.  Syntax and semantics, 26. San
Diego, CA: Academic Press, 1-7.

Stowell, Tim.  1992.  The role of the lexicon in syntactic theory." T.
Stowell and E. Wehrli, eds.  Syntax and the lexicon.  Syntax and semantics
26.  San Diego, CA:  Academic Press, 9-20.

> Talmy, L., 1985. Lexicalization patterns: semantic structure in lexical
> forms. In T. Shopen (ed.), Language Typology and Syntactic  Description,
> Vol.3: Grammatical Categories and the Lexicon, 57-149. Cambridge:
> Cambridge University Press.

> Tenny, Carol L. 1992. "The Aspectual Interface Hypothesis". In I.A. Sag
> and A. Szabolcsi, eds., Lexical Matters. CSLI Publications, Stanford
> University, Stanford, Calif. 1-27.

Tenny, C.L.  (1994) Aspectual Roles and the Syntax-Semantics Interface,
Kluwer, Dordrecht.  Section 1.2.3, 15--18.

> Tortora, Christina M. 1998. "Verbs of Inherently Directed Motion are
> Compatible with Resultative Phrases". Linguistic Inquiry 29:2. 338-345.

Van Valin, R.D., and R.J. LaPolla (1997) Syntax: Structure, Meaning and
Function, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.

> van Voorst, Jan. 1994. "The Role of Verb Meaning in the Calculation of
> Aspectual Interpretations." Euralex.

Van Voorst, J. (1996) ``Some Systematic Differences Between the Dutch,
French, and English Transitive Construction'', Language Sciences 18,
227-245.

> Vendler, Zeno. 1967. "Verbs and Times". Chapter 4 of Linguistics in
> Philosophy. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, New York. 97-121.

Vendler, Z. 1967b. Each and every, any and all. In Linguistics in
Philosophy. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press.

> Wheeler,  Rebecca S. (1995a).  Understand  in Conceptual Semantics.
> Berkeley Linguistics Society   21.
>
> Wheeler, Rebecca S. (1995b). Beyond 'try to find':  The syntax and
> semantics of search  and analyze.  Chicago Linguistic Society  31.
>
> Wheeler, Rebecca S. (1996). Will the real search verbs please stand up?
> Chicago Linguistic Society   32.

Wierzbicka, A. 1988. What's in a Noun? Chapter 9 of The Semantics of
Grammar. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.

Heidi Harley					(520) 626-3554
Department of Linguistics			hharley at u.arizona.edu
Douglass 200E					Fax: (520) 626-9014