10.1275, Qs: Eng/Partcl-V, Phonemic Inventory, Paper/Silence

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 1 20:44:34 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1275. Wed Sep 1 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1275, Qs: Eng/Partcl-V, Phonemic Inventory, Paper/Silence

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Naomi Ogasawara <naomi at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 30 Aug 99 22:56:03 +0900
From:  Koji Yoshida <Koji.Yoshida at ma2.seikyou.ne.jp>
Subject:  Particle-Verb Conversion in English

2)
Date:  Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:07:49 EDT
From:  Cor9999 at aol.com
Subject:  Phonemic/Allophonic Inventories

3)
Date:  Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:50:58 +0300
From:  Ariela Ehrenfreund <arielae at wizcom.co.il>
Subject:  Search for Material on the Pragmatic Features/Functions of Silence

Date:  Mon, 30 Aug 99 22:56:03 +0900
From:  Koji Yoshida <Koji.Yoshida at ma2.seikyou.ne.jp>

Dear all

     Some particles may be used as verbs in English, as in
(1):

   (1)  a. We downed bottles of local wine.
        b. A bank guard shot him in the leg and downed him.
        c. One day he just upped and left.
                                                (COBUILD 2)

There are two salient properties of these verbs.  First,
the number of these verbs is so limited in modern English.
In Collins COBUILD English Dictionary, for example, we can
find only three particles (down, out, up) listed as verb.
     Second, it is difficult for non-native speakers of
English to infer the meanings of these verbs from the
original meanings of the particles.  In (2), for example,
_up_ means "to get up or move suddenly":

   (2)  She upped and left without a word.
                                                   (OALD 5)

     Can anyone point me to any studies or information on
these verbs?

     Please reply to me directly and I will post a summary
to the List if I get sufficient responses.

     Thank you in advance.

Koji Yoshida
<koji.yoshida at ma2.seikyou.ne.jp>

Kinki University