10.1282, Qs: Theory of Orthography, Grammatical Evidence

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 2 17:38:28 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1282. Thu Sep 2 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1282, Qs: Theory of Orthography, Grammatical Evidence

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:13:55
From:  "Tony A. Wright" <twright at satx.net>
Subject:  Theory of Orthography

2)
Date:  Thu, 2 Sep 1999 15:12:33 +0100
From:  Geoffrey Sampson <geoffs at cogs.susx.ac.uk>
Subject:  Negative grammatical evidence

Date:  Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:13:55
From:  "Tony A. Wright" <twright at satx.net>

I would like to know if anyone knows of published work on the
linguistic nature of orthography.  I have been able to locate copious
sources of information on writing systems in particular, but so far
have come up empty on finding accounts of the nature of orthography in
general as a linguistic phenomenon.

I am interested in work on the level(s) of spoken language from which
orthographies draw, ie., phonetic, phonemic, lexical and post-lexical
rule-levels, morphophonemic, etc.  I would also be interested in
knowing if there are Optimality Theoretic approaches to orthography.
Any help would be much appreciated.

- Tony Wright
twright at intersatx.net