10.1286, Qs: Neologisms, Formal Features Acquisition Order

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Sep 3 20:23:58 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1286. Fri Sep 3 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1286, Qs: Neologisms, Formal Features Acquisition Order

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Naomi Ogasawara <naomi at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 03 Sep 1999 00:54:43 CEST
From:  "Josi Ramsn Varela Pirez" <jrvperez at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Neologisms & productivity

2)
Date:  Fri, 03 Sep 1999 23:22:43 +0330
From:  "Arash Behazin" <arash.behazin at mailcity.com>
Subject:  Formal Features Acquisition Order

Date:  Fri, 03 Sep 1999 00:54:43 CEST
From:  "Josi Ramsn Varela Pirez" <jrvperez at hotmail.com>

Neologisms & productivity

Dear linguists,

I am searching for discussions in the linguistic literature on the
motives for neologising. I am thinking of lexical innovations created
by word-formation processes. Why is "multi-" a popular prefix today,
as exemplified by an increasing number of new types of this prefix in
English corpora? Why are lexical means of marking small size, value,
etc. in English being displaced by innovative diminutive prefixes such
as mini- and micro- ?  It is clear that the degree of productivity of
affixes such multi-, micro-, mini- and other 'vogue' affixes has
increased considerably. But the question is why. I am looking for
references on the extralinguistic (social, cultural, register,
cognitive, textual, etc.) factors that seem to intervene in the
process of lexical innovaton by means of WF processes? I'll post a
summary of the messages I receive plus a list of bibliographic
references on neologising.

Thank you for your attention

Josi Ramsn Varela
University of Santiago