10.1289, Disc: Universal Word Order

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Sep 4 04:41:08 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1289. Sat Sep 4 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1289, Disc: Universal Word Order

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 3 Sep 1999 12:05:42 +0900
From:  Larry <be262 at scn.org>
Subject:  Re: 10.1283, Disc: Universal Word Order

2)
Date:  Sat, 04 Sep 1999 02:32:18 KST
From:  "Sean Witty" <wittysan at hotmail.com>

Date:  Fri, 3 Sep 1999 12:05:42 +0900
From:  Larry <be262 at scn.org>

The following is with reference to previous articles and related comments
by Dan Moonhawk Alford:

Through a linguist friend I have received information about Kalapuya and
Sahaptin, two items from the pool of native languages belonging to the
several dozen (!) language families (!) in Oregon (USA)

-  begin quote: --

Kalapuya itself is kind of an anomaly in Oregon.  The languages around it
are generally VSO (except for Sahaptin, which has no particular word order
but a second position 1st and 2nd person pronominal clitic, like
Serbo-Croatian or some Australian languages).  It, on the other hand, is
strictly SVO with a complicated tense-aspect-pronominal prefix system and
various aspectual and adverbial suffixes to the verb.  It has an article
a(n)-  which does not always seem to be definate.  And a strange
laryngealization to the end of the vowel/resonant syllable nucleus, perhaps
like Danish.

-  end quote --

It was stated: "...are generally VSO". Well, the point i wanted to stress
is that I see no evidence supporting any hypothesis that SOV or SVO are
more fundamental than other structural orders or in any way universal. I am
curious to know how, with all the diversity of language structures ("the
evidence"), any hypothesis of a "universal word order" could have arisen in
the first place. In other words, what empirical evidence do we have that
suggests that there is such a thing as "universal word order"? As much as I
like to speculate myself (and even at times without evidence to begin with,
just with a hunch or purely imagined idea), I think one needs to be more
careful when stating that humans must either think in SVO or SOV pattersn
because the world around us is *obviously* ordered that way. I would
suggest that the world around us is not ordered that way (or any other
specific way), but we create mental systems by which we order it and use
"maps" (language) to navigate it. Those maps make the world *obvious* to us
- in a different way, however, than to the user of a different map.

All evidence I have seen so far suggests that there are *many* maps that
are "accurate enough" in practical terms, meaning that their users can
function in the world. Since there are maps that do not include nouns and
others that do not include verbs, any discussion of *universality* ought to
be taken to a different level, away from considerations of word order.
Imagine we were trying to discuss macroeconomics by arguing about the
relative value to each other of nickels, dimes, and quarters... :-)

Regards: Larry