10.1305, Qs: "Kayor", NLP Techniques

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 7 12:44:39 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1305. Tue Sep 7 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1305, Qs: "Kayor", NLP Techniques

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: James Yuells <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:28:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:  Stephen Helmreich <shelmrei at crl.nmsu.edu>
Subject:  "kayor"

2)
Date:  Mon, 06 Sep 1999 12:55:42 -0700
From:  Gang Liu <gang_liu at bc.sympatico.ca>
Subject:  NLP techniques

Date:  Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:28:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:  Stephen Helmreich <shelmrei at crl.nmsu.edu>

A friend of mine has the following question. You may respond to me or
directly to him:

The word "kayor" [2nd syllable tonic] in Yiddish means "dawn."  It
does not appear to come from either German or Hebrew, to the best of
my knowledge.  Also, though it does appear in Yiddish dictionaries, it
is not widely known among the Yiddish speakers I've talked with.  The
word appears in a famous song ("Zog nit keinmol az du geyst dem
letzten veg") which is attributed to Hirsh Glik of the Vilna Ghetto in
WW2.  Is the word of Lithuanian or Latvian origin?

It also does not appear in Hungarian or Finnish dictionaries, nor in a
vocabulary list from a Lithuanian grammar. It is not Latvian,
according to one speaker.

Steve Helmreich
Computing Research Laboratory
New Mexico State University