10.1338, Qs: Historical roots of functionalism

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Sep 12 15:13:07 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1338. Sun Sep 12 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1338, Qs: Historical roots of functionalism

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 12 Sep 1999 16:33:36 +0200
From:  Bartsch-Neuenhagen at t-online.de (Suzie & Peter Bartsch)
Subject:  Qs: Historical roots of functionalism and formalism

Date:  Sun, 12 Sep 1999 16:33:36 +0200
From:  Bartsch-Neuenhagen at t-online.de (Suzie & Peter Bartsch)

Dear linguists,

	the controversy between functionalism and formalism is undoubtedly one
of the most interesting and relevant discussions in language philosophy at the
present time.

	This discussion and also the representations of either of these
directions are generally realised from a synchronic point of view.

	I would be interested in a diachronic approach.

	I think of something like Chomsky's search for justification for his
assumptions in "Cartesian Linguistics", to give an example on formalism. Or
Dieter Janik's article "Reperes pour une histoire de la pensée fonctionnelle au
XVIIIe siecle" in "Logos semantikos: studia linguistica in honorem Eugenio
Coseriu. Vol. 1. Geschichte der Sprachphilosophie.- Berlin: de Gruyter, 1981,
77-86.-", in which Janik assumes that historical roots for the functional
approaches of the 20th century can be found in the philosophy of the
enlightenment.

	I would be grateful for any bibliographical reference and also for own
or somewhere collected reflections on historical roots of functionalism and
formalism especially in language sciences and language philosophy. References
related to other sciences and to general epistemological contexts are also
highly welcome.

	I'll summarize.

	Best regards.

	Suzie Bartsch