10.1339, Books: General Linguistics

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 13 00:55:28 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1339. Sun Sep 12 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1339, Books: General Linguistics

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Links to the websites of all LINGUIST's supporting publishers are
available at the end of this issue.

Date:  Thu, 9 Sep 1999 12:50:10 -0400
From:  Dawn Williams <DWILL at Blackwellpub.com>
Subject:  General Ling - Essential Introductory Linguistics, G. Hudson

Date:  Thu, 9 Sep 1999 12:50:10 -0400
From:  Dawn Williams <DWILL at Blackwellpub.com>

Hello from Blackwell Publishers!

I am writing to let you know that Essential Introductory Linguistics, by
Grover Hudson is now available for sale at a limited time discount offer,
and as a complimentary copy for professors to review for course adoption!

<<Praise for this new linguistics resource>>
"Grover Hudson's new textbook is an exciting discovery, unlike any other
introductory text in linguistics I have seen, and I eagerly anticipate
ordering it.  Theoretical notions that are notoriously challenging for
beginners...are handled with finesse.  The book is remarkably efficient in
organization...convenient for teachers and students to use both as a text
and as a study guide.  Students will have ready access to material on any
central topic, and instructors will have flexibility."
Jeffrey P Kaplan, San Diego State University

"Particularly impressive are the number, originality, and quality of
exercises provided at the end of each chapter, necessary learning tools
for both the novice student and instructor.  I am anxious to "test-drive"
this text the next time I teach linguistics."
Kathy Lyday-Lee, Elon College

<<Special features of the text>>
- Covers virtually every topic which might be included in introductory
courses in language and/or linguistics.
- Organizes material according to the typical structure of a one semester
course, in 28 brief chapters corresponding to two class periods.
- Packs each chapter with short, objective exercises designed to engage
students in active learning.
- Provides recommended readings after each chapter to stimulate students
to explore the topics further.
- Covers major topics such as syntax and phonology at differing levels in
different chapters, allowing teachers to match the reading to the level of
the course.

Essential Introductory Linguistics is the ideal text for busy students who
want a textbook that gets straight to the point by only including the most
important information.  It is strictly selective, highly structured,
focused, to-the-point and informative.

I have included a full table of contents listing at the bottom of this
message. For more information and ordering details at a 20% discount
(valid until October 31st 1999) about this book and others listed, please
call 1-800-216-2522 or contact me at Dwill at blackwellpub.com. If you are
teaching an appropriate course with 10 or more students, send me details
of your course (course title/number of students), along with your shipping
address and phone number to receive a complimentary copy.

Thank you,

Dawn Williams
Blackwell Publishers, Boston, MA - Oxford, UK
Examination Copy: Dwill at blackwellpub.com
To Order Books Call 1-800-216-2522 or Fax 781-388-8210
To Order Journals Call 1-800-835-6770
Visit Blackwell Publishers on the WEB at http://www.blackwellpub.com for
full table of contents and other special offers on all our titles.

Also Available from Blackwell Publishers (Stop by our website for complete
listings at www.blackwellpub.com):

An Introduction to Linguistics Theory and Language Acquisition
Stephen Crain and Diane Lillo-Martin

The Encyclopedic Dictionary of Applied Linguistics
Edited by Keith Johnson and Helen Johnson

Minimalist Analysis
Howard Lasnik

A History of English Words
Edited by Geoffrey Hughes

The Development of Language
David Lightfoot

Western Linguistics
Pieter A M Seuren

Other Related Journals from Blackwell Publishers (sample copies are
available):

Language Learning
Edited by Alister Cumming, Nick Ellis and Alexander Z. Guiora

Syntax
Edited by Samuel Epstein and Suzanne Flynn

Modern Language Journal
Edited by Sally Sieloff Magnan

Table of Contents for Essential Introductory Linguistics:
Preface.
1. Sign, Communication, and Language.
2. Phonetics.
3. Phones and Phonemes.
4. Morphemes.
5. The Lexicon and Morphological Rules.
6. Sentences and Syntax.
7. Phrase Structure Rules.
8. Child Language Learning.
9. Explanations of Child Language Learning.
10. Language and the Brain.
11. Adult Language Learning.
12. Animal Languages?
13. Phonological Rules.
14. Phonological Features.
15. Five Ways to Get New Words.
16. Seven More Ways to Get New Words.
17. Sentence Meaning.
18. Sentence Form.
19. Pragmatics: Inferring Meaning in Context.
20. The Unity of Languages.
21. The Basic History of Writing.
22. The Ecology of Writing.
23. Three Characteristics of Language Change.
24. Six Causes of Language Change.
25. Language Families.
26. Dialects and other Sociolects
27. Register.
28. Linguistics.

Essential Introductory Linguistics
Grover Hudson
Michigan State University
1999 ~ 6 3/4 x 9 3/4 ~ 533 pages
0-631-20303-6 ~ hardcover ~ $69.95
0-631-20304-4 ~ paperback ~ $39.95

 If you buy one of these books, please tell the publisher or author
 that you saw it on LINGUIST.

 The following publishers contribute to the support of The LINGUIST List:

 MAJOR SUPPORTERS

         Arnold Publishers
                  http://www.arnoldpublishers.com

         Blackwell Publishers