10.1402, Support: English & French Internships/Mexico

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Sep 24 14:10:07 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1402. Fri Sep 24 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1402, Support: English & French Internships/Mexico

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:32:42 PDT
From:  "Jennifer Sisane" <jsisane at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Intern Position: Huauchinango, MEXICO

Date:  Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:32:42 PDT
From:  "Jennifer Sisane" <jsisane at hotmail.com>

                           Greetings from Mexico!

The Universidad de la Sierra, A.C.(USAC)is pleased to announce 3 English
and/or French internship teaching position openings for the Spring 2000
(January-June) semester.

LOCATION:
The Universidad de la Sierra is located in Huauchinango, Puebla
which is a beautiful mountain community of 80,000 inhabitants.  It
is approximately 100 miles northeast of Mexico City (3 hours via
bus).

UNIVERSITY:
The Universidad de la Sierra is a nonprofit institution that offers
required integrated English skill courses for students studying law,
tourism, architecture, accounting, computer science, administration, and
engineering.  Tourism students are also required to take one French course.
In addition, each spring we offer basic English courses for graduate
students studying business administration and teaching. Our present
enrollment is around 600.

The university students and community members who attend our complimentary
English, French, and Nahuatl (a local indigenous language) workshops are
truly a delight to teach.  They are eager
to learn and are quite attentive.  Conversely, our
university students tend to be a bit of a challenge for our local and
foreign teaching staff. They understand English is important for their
future careers, but often view English as just another required course.  We
are always working on improving motivation.

This year we have an exchange student studying with us from
Australia. We are currently working on developing exchange
agreements so that our students have low-cost opportunities to
study in other countries.

INTERN RESPONSIBILITIES:
-Interns will teach approximately 15-25 contact hours per week
(Most English courses average 15-25 students per class.  All other
university classes average 35 per class.)

-Interns may be assigned to work on special projects such as
staffing the Language Center (English, French and Nahuatl workshops);
curriculum, resource and text development; teacher training
(collaboration) workshops and other projects as designed.

If interns work on special projects, the overall contact teaching
hours will be reduced accordingly.  For each hour in the formal
classroom, interns will be allotted preparation and grading time.
The remaining hours of the 40 hour work week will be committed to
project hours.  Interns are required to participate in regular
faculty meetings and may be required to teach Saturday classes.

Interns have the opportunity to be integrally involved within the
development of the department.  Last year, one of our interns
created our departmental web page and all the interns worked on
curriculum and textbook design. To date we have created 6 class
texts.

COMPENSATION:
The Universidad de la Sierra will provide the following:

-Free University e-mail account and free internet access

-Complimentary furnished housing (shared with up to 2 other
interns.  Interns are currently living in the town center in a private
apartment located within a Mariachi family´s home/building. It is
approximately within a 10-15 minute walking distance (2.5 pesos via
bus each way to/from the University).  Each intern has his/her own
bedroom and shares a kitchen and living room with the other interns.

On a personal note, I think we are very fortunate to have our
interns living with this family.  They are incredibly wonderful
people and have always been excellent resources for our interns.  We
consider them to be the interns´ host family.  They respect our
interns´ privacy, yet are always available to help out.  A truly
perfect combination in our view!

-Complimentary breakfast, lunch, and snacks at the El Mirador
restaurant and University cafeteria

-Stipend of 6,000 pesos PER SEMESTER (approx. 640 USD per
semester--paid in pesos)  Applicants always wonder if this is
sufficient enough to live on in Huauchinango.  The University has
consistently increased the intern salary over the last few
semesters so that the program offers a living wage.

I recommend that interns fully take advantage of the complimentary
board. If so, interns can live humbly, but well. If interns are
interested in traveling extensively; they will need
to dip into their savings.  Travel tend to be inexpensive in Mexico
according to U.S. standards.  Bus travel is comfortable and
inexpensive (approx. 7 USD from Mexico City to Huauchinango).

-Interns are expected to provide their own transportation to and
from Huauchinango.

CONTRACT DATES:
University classes are tentatively scheduled to begin on January 3, 2000.
However, English courses will begin the following week (January 10th) to
give interns time to prepare for classes and get acquainted with
Huauchinango. The last day of classes is tentatively scheduled to be on June
2nd.  Following the cessation of classes, the University holds two weeks of
exams.  Interns are always given early exam dates so that they may finish
the semester in a timely manner.

Interns are also given a 2 week paid vacation during Semana Santa (Easter).

APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS:
-Native speaker of English (We currently have a local Mexican
teaching staff and are looking for native speakers to round off the
department.)

-Earned bachelor´s degree in English, TESOL, French, or a closely related
field

-Preference will be given to applicants who are currently enrolled
in an accredited TESOL master´s program or have recently completed
an MA TESOL degree (The USAC director will work closely with your
MA program if you would like to earn ACADEMIC CREDIT for this
internship.  Two interns in the past have arranged to receive
academic credit for their participation with USAC.)

-International living and/or traveling experience

-Professionalism, cultural sensitivity, maturity, flexibility, a positive
attitude, and the ability to adapt to another culture

-Proficiency in Spanish is not required but is VERY helpful as few
people in the area speak English.  (Huauchinango is a small
town--the perfect place for total immersion.)

-Fluency in French is preferred but not essential for all position openings

-Access to an e-mail account and fax machine during the application period

APPLICATION INFORMATION:
To apply, please FAX the following by October 30, 1999:

-Cover letter stating professional interests, academic training,
practical experience and availability dates

-Resume

-Three letters of recommendation from former professors and/or
employers

-Unofficial transcripts (please have your university registrar send
official copies to my attention)

-Photocopies of diplomas and applicable certificates

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Mtra. Jennifer Sisane, Directora
Departamento de Idiomas y Relaciones Internacionales
Universidad de la Sierra, A.C.
Av de los Tecnicos s/n
Colonia "El Paraiso"
Huauchinango, Puebla 73168
MEXICO

jsisane at hotmail.com

FAX/Phone:  011-52-776-2-20-34 or 011-52-776-2-25-88 (from the U.S.)
Available 9:00 am-2:00 pm & 4:00 pm-8:00 pm Monday-Friday
9:00 am-3:00 pm Saturday (Mexican time)

WEB:  www.usac.edu.mx