11.2601, Qs: Negative Questions, Pragmatics/Film Dubbing

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Dec 2 03:08:42 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-2601. Fri Dec 1 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.2601, Qs: Negative Questions, Pragmatics/Film Dubbing

Editors: Karen Milligan, Wayne State U. <karen at linguistlist.org>
         Michael Appleby, E. Michigan U. <michael at linguistlist.org>
         Rob Beltz, E. Michigan U. <rob at linguistlist.org>
         Lydia Grebenyova, E. Michigan U. <lydia at linguistlist.org>
         Marie Klopfenstein, Wayne State U. <marie at linguistlist.org>
         Ljuba Veselinova, Stockholm U. <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:00:46 +0900
From:  YANAGI Tomohiro <yanagi_t at mbox.media.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Answer to negative question

2)
Date:  Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:11:15 +0800
From:  "Xu Xiaofei" <tammyxu at 263.net>
Subject:  Pragmatics/film dubbing

Date:  Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:00:46 +0900
From:  YANAGI Tomohiro <yanagi_t at mbox.media.nagoya-u.ac.jp>

Dear editors and LINGUIST listers,

I'm interested in how to answer negative questions like (1) in many languages:

(1) Aren't you Japanese?

For example, in English, an answer to (1) would be 'No, I'm not Japanese' or
 'Yes, I'm Japanese.'  'No' is always used with negative sentences and 'yes'
 with positive sentences.

By contrast, Japanese exhibits a different behavior.  If a person who is ask
ed is Japanese, the person says 'Iie, nihonjin desu. ((lit.) No, I'm Japanes
e.'  If not Japanese, the answer is 'Hai, nihonjin dewa arimasen. ((lit.) Ye
s, I'm not Japanese.'  'Hai (yes)' and 'iie (no)' can be used with positive
and negative sentences in Japanese.

I want to examine crosslinguistically whether there is a correlation between
 this difference and syntactic difference .  If anyone of you helps me with
this survey, please e-mail me directly:

yanagi_t at mbox.media.nagoya-u.ac.jp

In addition,  please inform me of a paper or book concerning this subject.

Thank you in advance.