11.2667, Qs: Posture Verbs, Postpositions in English

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Dec 9 17:29:38 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-2667. Sat Dec 9 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.2667, Qs: Posture Verbs, Postpositions in English

Editors: Karen Milligan, Wayne State U. <karen at linguistlist.org>
         Michael Appleby, E. Michigan U. <michael at linguistlist.org>
         Rob Beltz, E. Michigan U. <rob at linguistlist.org>
         Lydia Grebenyova, E. Michigan U. <lydia at linguistlist.org>
         Marie Klopfenstein, Wayne State U. <marie at linguistlist.org>
         Ljuba Veselinova, Stockholm U. <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: James Yuells <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 8 Dec 2000 10:02:47 +1200
From:  John Newman <j.newman at massey.ac.nz>
Subject:  Posture Verbs

2)
Date:  Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:26:26 -0600
From:  "Matthew L. Juge" <mjuge at mail.tcu.edu>
Subject:  Postpositions in English?

Date:  Fri, 8 Dec 2000 10:02:47 +1200
From:  John Newman <j.newman at massey.ac.nz>

I'm researching the grammatical means of encoding the action and state
differences relating to posture verbs 'sit', 'stand', and 'lie' across
languages.

Verbs for the states associated with postures (like being in a seated
position)  are sometimes resultative or progressive forms of the action
verb meaning to enter into that position.

Can anyone refer me to a language where the action verb meaning is formed
as an inchoative of the state verb? I have not been able to find a good
example of this yet.

John Newman
School of Language Studies
Massey University