11.2682, Qs: Final Long Vowels, Teachers of Indigenous Langs

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 12 01:35:55 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-2682. Mon Dec 11 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.2682, Qs: Final Long Vowels, Teachers of Indigenous Langs

Editors: Karen Milligan, Wayne State U. <karen at linguistlist.org>
         Michael Appleby, E. Michigan U. <michael at linguistlist.org>
         Rob Beltz, E. Michigan U. <rob at linguistlist.org>
         Lydia Grebenyova, E. Michigan U. <lydia at linguistlist.org>
         Marie Klopfenstein, Wayne State U. <marie at linguistlist.org>
         Ljuba Veselinova, Stockholm U. <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 7 Dec 2000 19:01:10 +0100
From:  Joaquim Brandãode Carvalho <jbrandao at ext.jussieu.fr>
Subject:  Final long vowels

2)
Date:  Sun, 10 Dec 2000 14:52:43 -0800 (PST)
From:  Armelle Denis <denisa at ucs.orst.edu>
Subject:  ELL: Certification for teachers of indigenous languages.

Date:  Thu, 7 Dec 2000 19:01:10 +0100
From:  Joaquim Brandãode Carvalho <jbrandao at ext.jussieu.fr>

Dear linguist fellows,

Do you know of languages that have V/V: contrasts *except* in
word-final position, where only short vowels would be allowed ?  (I
do not refer here to the well-known cases of final unstressed
syllables, where length contrasts may often disappear.)

Thank you very much for any information. I will post a summary if
there are enough responses.
-

Joaquim Brandao de Carvalho
320, rue des Pyrénées
75020  Paris  France
Tel./fax : 01 43 66 95 24
(If calling from outside France,
please replace the prefix '01' with '00331'.)
jbrandao at ext.jussieu.fr

Departement de linguistique
Faculte des Sciences Humaines et Sociales - Sorbonne
Universite Rene Descartes - Paris V
CNRS : ESA 7018, GDR 1954