11.237, Qs: Double "is" in American Eng,Spanish Word List

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 4 05:22:43 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-237. Fri Feb 4 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.237, Qs: Double "is" in American Eng,Spanish Word List

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Naomi Ogasawara <naomi at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 02 Feb 2000 15:23:14 -0800
From:  "Hank Mooney" <HMooney at mfi.com>
Subject:  Double "is" in American English

2)
Date:  Wed, 02 Feb 2000 15:21:23 PST
From:  "rebecca johnson" <rebeccasjohnson at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Spanish Word Frequency List

Date:  Wed, 02 Feb 2000 15:23:14 -0800
From:  "Hank Mooney" <HMooney at mfi.com>

I'm wondering if anyone has published anything on the use of a double
"is" in English sentences, for example:

The problem is is that Bob doesn't know how to drive.

This usage, which I hear commonly and from very educated people, is
distinct from what I will, at the risk of being judgemental, call the
"legitimate double 'is' ", as in:

The question is is Bob a competent driver?

In the latter sentence, "is" occurs twice in a row because the structure
of the sentence requires it, viz.:

Subj. (The question) + copulative (is) + predicate (Is Bob a competent driver?)

In the first example, however, there is no structural reason for the
doubling of the copulative.

My analysis of this usage is that the double "is" acts as a focusing
mechanism, and serves the same function that a pause might serve, for example:

The question is: (pause) Do we want four more years of incompetent leadership?

But in rapid speech, a true pause becomes awkward, so instead the "is"
is doubled as a way of signaling to the listener that the following
phrase is something s/he should pay particular attention to.

Has anyone else addressed this matter?

Hank Mooney
hmooney at mfi.com