11.244, Jobs: Comp Ling/Speech Recognition, TEFL/China

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Feb 5 06:16:25 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-244. Sat Feb 5 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.244, Jobs: Comp Ling/Speech Recognition, TEFL/China

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  2 Feb 2000 18:11:49 -0000
From:  Terry Durham <durham at cslu.colorado.edu>
Subject:  Comp Ling/Speech Recognition: Postdoc Research/ U of Colorado, USA

2)
Date:  4 Feb 2000 02:44:36 -0000
From:  Nelson Bank <bankn at usa.net>
Subject:  EFL: Teacher at Guanghua Schools, Hubei China

Date:  2 Feb 2000 18:11:49 -0000
From:  Terry Durham <durham at cslu.colorado.edu>

Rank of Job: Postdoctoral Researcher
Areas Required: Speech Recognition Pronunciation Modeling
Other Desired Areas:
University or Organization: University of Colorado, Boulder
Department: Center for Spoken Language Understanding
State or Province: Colorado
Country: USA
Final Date of Application: May 31, 2000
Contact: Terry Durham durham at cslu.colorado.edu

Address for Applications:
3215 Marine Street
Boulder
Colorado 80303
USA

The Center for Spoken Language Understanding at the University of
Colorado, Boulder, in coordination with the Departments of Computer
Science and Linguistics, is seeking applications for a postdoctoral
researcher in the area of pronunciation modeling in automatic speech
recognition.  Our National Science Foundation-funded research project,
led by Dan Jurafsky and Wayne Ward, is focused on improving the
robustness of automatic speech recognition systems to variation in
pronunciation.  Research will include building sophisticated predictive
models of pronunciation variation and adapting state-of-the-art speech
recognition systems to a dynamic lexicon.  This postdoctoral position
lasts through August 2002.  The University of Colorado at Boulder
and the Center for Spoken Language Understanding have active programs
of research in speech recognition and understanding as well as
computational linguistics and cognitive science.  CSLU is located
in Boulder, a beautiful town at the foot of the Rocky Mountains.

Required skills:
  - Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Linguistics
  - specialization in automatic speech recognition
  - fluent in C or C++, Perl, and UNIX
  - ability to work as part of a team

Desired skills:
  - familiarity with pronunciation modeling

To apply, please send expressions of interest and CV to Terry Durham
at durham at cslu.colorado.edu.