11.247, Disc: Phonemic Analysis

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Feb 5 19:16:17 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-247. Sat Feb 5 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.247, Disc: Phonemic Analysis

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:50:24 -0500
From:  Grover Hudson <hudson at pilot.msu.edu>
Subject:  Phonemic Analysis

2)
Date:  Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:09:53 -0500 (EST)
From:  Jorge Guitart <guitart at acsu.buffalo.edu>

Date:  Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:50:24 -0500
From:  Grover Hudson <hudson at pilot.msu.edu>

I would like to support Larry Trask's recent message (Vol-11-228. Thu
Feb 3) on this topic, and add two points.

First is that an understanding of more-or-less classical phonemics is
essential for students if they are to UNDERSTAND AND BE REASONABLY
CRITICAL OF DATA, which typically comes to them, from textbooks,
grammars, and dictionaries, in some sort of phonemic form. Even
so-called phonetic data, which the textbooks use to teach phonemics, is
grossly simplified, since reliable consistently detailed phonetic
writing is notoriously impractical.

When, someday, we have data in a somewhat detailed phonetic featural
system, we can start going directly, in our teaching, to the search for
generalizations in terms of features, and then use these
generalizations to abstract over the featural representations.

Until then, students have to learn to deal with generalizations in
terms of phones - and this means understanding more-or-less classical
phonemics. The IPA, indeed, is a set of symbols for presenting possible
phonemic contrasts, not possible phones, which are innumerable.

The other, small, point, is an addition to Trask's lists of purposes
for which phonemics is the 'appropriate tool in a number of
circumstances' ('language teaching, lexicography, and the devising of
practical orthographies for previously unwritten languages'). Phonemics
seems to be essential for understanding the
logic/effectiveness/defectiveness of most orthographies and so for
understanding the teaching of reading. My impression is that a lack of
understanding by reading teachers of English phonemics is a major part
of the problem apparent in the persistent dissatisfaction with the
teaching of English reading.

Perhaps part of the reason for this lack of understanding, and for the
resulting problem, is the inappropriate influence of premature
phonological theories in courses in which teachers learn about English
phonology.

Grover Hudson

Department of Linguistics & Germanic
Slavic, Asian & African Languages