11.259, Disc: Phonemic Analysis

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 7 18:10:18 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-259. Mon Feb 7 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.259, Disc: Phonemic Analysis

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 05 Feb 2000 16:19:52 -0500
From:  rwilliams at naxs.com (Robert Williams)
Subject:  Phonemic Analysis

2)
Date:  Mon, 07 Feb 2000 15:15:30 +0000
From:  larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk (Larry Trask)

Date:  Sat, 05 Feb 2000 16:19:52 -0500
From:  rwilliams at naxs.com (Robert Williams)

I too wish to chime in with Trask (Vol-11-228) and Hudson (Vol-11-247).  In
my experience and research, the morphological qualities of English
orthography are routinely marginalized in the teaching of reading and the
preparation of reading teachers while the purely
phonological/representational qualities (minor though they may be) of that
same orthography are foregrounded.  Also, and as an addendum to Hudson's
comments, seemingly routinely the psycholinguisitic and sociolinguistic
components inherent in the reading process (an obviously Bakhtin-ian
dialogic process) are ignored, probably because research has yet (and may
never) fully describe or understand that same process.  In short, we still
do not understand how reading works and thus much of reading instruction
attends to superficial phonemic approximations that have very little to do
with sophisticated apprehension or comprehension of written material.  Of
course, conversely, phonological representations become perfectly (if
weirdly) sensible ... once the individual knows how to read.  Thus, reading
teachers instantly become spelling teachers and the little help they
provide with actual reading occurs as a result of simple engagement and
imitation (read: "practice").  Pity the bored students.

More to the point for linguistic research, I would liken phonemic analysis
to grammatical analysis in that neither is particularly useful for lanuage
use (i.e. literacy); but the fundamental purposes and methodolgies - aside
from contemporary or "fashionable" theoretical hypotheses - of both are
intensely important for various areas of linguistic research and for
students interested in such topics, which should, in a perfect world,
include all reading teachers and, indeed, all teachers who use language to
communicate with students.

Respectfully,

Robert

	*
     Multiple Choice?
Darken the appropriate circle.
Darken the appropriate world.
	*
Robert H. Williams, Jr.
Assistant Professor of English Education
Radford University
P.O. Box 6935
Radford  VA  24142
540-682-4350 (home)