11.302, Sum: References on "Youth Language"

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Feb 13 21:12:14 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-302. Sun Feb 13 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.302, Sum: References on "Youth Language"

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 13 Feb 2000 14:43:16 +0100
From:  "jannis k. androutsopoulos" Ioannis.Androutsopoulos at urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Subject:  References on "Youth Language"

Date:  Sun, 13 Feb 2000 14:43:16 +0100
From:  "jannis k. androutsopoulos" Ioannis.Androutsopoulos at urz.uni-heidelberg.de

For Query: Linguist 11.153

Dear Linguists,

On January 24 I posted a query (LINGUIST Vol-11-153) asking for
references on youth language. My sincere thanks go to the
following six people who replied (in alphabetical order):

:: Amalia Arvaniti, Univ. of Cyprus, e-mail: <amalia at ucy.ac.cy>
:: Desiree Baron, Univ. of Michigan, e-mail:
<desireebaron at hotmail.com>
:: Zsuzsanna Fagyal-Le Mentec, Univ. of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign, e-mail: <zsfagyal at uiuc.edu>
:: Paul Kerswill, Univ. of Reading, email:
:: Carl Mills, email: <MILLSCR at UCMAIL.UC.EDU>
:: Shinsuke Watanabe, Western Michigan Univ., e-mail:
<watanabes at wmich.edu>

The information I received is listed below according to language,
in the following order: AAV English, UK English, Austrian German,
French, Greek, and Japanese. I also give a couple of on-line
references at the end of the summary.

- -------------
AUSTRIAN GERMAN
- -------------

Desiree Baron (Michigan) referred to her recently completed Ph.D.
thesis:

"Comparative strategies for managing linguistic repertoires:
Examining situational code choice among adolescent speakers in a
micro-community in Austria".

It can be obtained through Bell&Howell/UMI. A copy is available at
the Library of the University of Michigan.

- ---------
AAV ENGLISH
- ---------

Carl Mills suggested Willam Labov's (1972) Language in the Inner
City, as well as:

Baugh, John (1983)
Black street speech: its history, structure, and survival.
Austin: University of Texas Press.

- ---------
UK ENGLISH
- ---------
Paul Kerswill (Reading) sent me a list of papers from recent
research projects (i.e. the Milton Keynes, Reading, and Hull
projects) which are investigating children's and/or teenage
speech. Here are three of these references which should be easy to
find:

Kerswill, Paul & Williams, Ann (2000).
Creating a new town koine: children and language change in Milton
Keynes.
In: Language in Society 29(1): 65-115.

Kerswill, Paul & Williams, Ann (1997).
Investigating social and linguistic identity in three British
schools.
In: U.-B. Kotsinas, A.-B. Stenström & A.-M. Malin (eds.)
Ungdomsspråk i Norden. Föredrag från ett forskarsymposium [Youth
language in the Nordic countries. Papers from a research
symposium]. Series: MINS, No. 43. Stockholm: University of
Stockholm, Department of Nordic Languages and Literature, 159-176.

Kerswill, Paul (1996).
Children, adolescents and language change.
In: Language Variation and Change 8(2): 177-202.

- -----
FRENCH
- -----
Zsuzsanna Fagyal-Le Mentec (Urbana-Champaign) sent me two
references investigating on-going language change in the Parisian
French of young people:

Fagyal, Zs. (1998a).
Le retour du e final en français parisien: changement phonétique
conditionné par la prosodie. [The return of word-final e in
Parisian French: phonetic change conditionned by the prosody].
In: Actes du XIIe Congrès International de Linguistique et
Philologie
Romanes, Bruxelles,
http://www.ulb.ac.be/philo/serlifra/cilpr98/cilpr98.html ,
in: "texts" and "Section III" (Dialectologie, geolinguistique,
sociolinguistique)

Fagyal, Zs. & Moisset, C. (1999).
Sound change and articulatory release: where and why are high
vowels devoiced in Parisian French?"
In: Proceedings of the XIVth International Congress of Phonetics
Sciences, San Francisco, pp. 309-312.

- ----
GREEK
- ----

Amalia Arvaniti (Cyprus) referred to a paper by Brian Joseph and
herself on prenasalization in Greek. As she notes, "one of the
most striking findings was the great gap between the percentage of
prenasalized tokens
among young and older speakers in all styles".

Arvaniti, A. & B. D. Joseph (1999)
Variation in voiced stop prenasalisation in Greek.
In: OSU Working Papers in Linguistics 52: 203-232]

Arvaniti, A. & B. D. Joseph (in press)
Variation in voiced stop prenasalisation in Greek.
In: Glossologia 11-12.

- -------
JAPANESE:
- -------
Shinsuke Watanabe (Michigan) referred to his M.A. thesis on word
formation phenomena (such as truncation and shortening) in the
language of Japanese teenagers, as well as to one Japanese book on
the subject:

Watanabe, Shinsuke. 1999.
Japanese Teeny-Bopper Language: Prosodic morphonology and other
linguistic aspects.
M.A. thesis. Southern Illinois University at Carbondale.

Yonekawa, Akihiko. 1996.
Gendai wakamono kotobako. [Analyses of modern languages among
youngsters.]
Tokyo: Maruzen.

- ----------------
ON-LINE REFERENCES
- ----------------
This is not an exhaustive list, of course.

http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~iandrout/papers/Biblio2.htm
This is my on-line bibliography referred to in the posting.

http://www.jugendsprache.uni-hannover.de
German-based site.

http://www.hd.uib.no/colt/
COLT, Corpus of London Teenage Speech.

http://www.uib.no/uno/unoEng/
UNO, Teenage language and language contact in the Nordic
countries.

That's all. Again, thanks to all concerned.
Best wishes,

Jannis Androutsopoulos
Heidelberg (Germany)