11.321, Disc: Newmeyer: Language Form & Language Function

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 16 18:46:24 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-321. Wed Feb 16 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.321, Disc: Newmeyer: Language Form & Language Function

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 01 Feb 2000 13:41:17 +0900
From:  gregg at andrew.ac.jp (Kevin R. Gregg)

2)
Date:  7 Feb 2000 00:12:28 EDT
From:  Lotfi at www.dci.co.ir
Subject:  Disc:  'Generativia': a democratic 'nation'?

3)
Date:  Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:10:05 -0800
From:  "John A. Goldsmith" <ja-goldsmith at uchicago.edu>
Subject:  RE: LINGUIST List Daily Summary for Wed Feb 9 2000

Date:  Tue, 01 Feb 2000 13:41:17 +0900
From:  gregg at andrew.ac.jp (Kevin R. Gregg)

>Kevin R. Gregg wrote (LINGUIST 11.169):
>
>>Grammaticality is a
>>technical term within a theory of grammar, hence it's the theory that tells
>>us what's grammatical or not.  What a native speaker, including the
>>theoretical linguist, can tell us, with absolute authority, is whether the
>>sentence is acceptable, to that speaker; but the whole community of
>>English-speakers could with one voice reject 'The rat that etc.' as
>>unacceptable, without--simply in virtue of that unanimity-- impugning in
>>the least the veridicality of the theory that marks it grammatical.
>
>Essentially you have just said that a theory of grammar:
>
>a) cannot be tested by empirical means
>b) is completely arbitrary to the whims of the grammar theorist
>c) or else, only exists as a Platonic Ideal
>
>Though this may be an interesting philosophical position, it has serious
>problems as a basis for a science.  Though I'm sure many of us would enjoy
>constructing logical Ideals of what we think language should be, (and some
>professional linguists do), this doesn't hold much interest to those of us
>interested in language as an empirical phenomenon in the real world.
>Empirical grammatical theories MUST account for the data actual usage of
>language by real speakers; there is no other empirical basis upon which to
>construct or evaluate them.  (If you can think of another, I'd be glad to
>hear about it.)
>
>Marc Hamann
- -----------
        I think there may be a confusion here between 'empirical' and
'empiricist'; there certainly are other sources of empirical evidence for
grammatical theories besides utterances of speakers.  Some people use their
intuitions, some people use ERP data, some do reaction-time studies.  As
Fodor says, 'The data for a theory are *just whatever confirms its
predictions*, and can thus be *practically anything at all* (including, by
the way, bits and pieces of other theories)' (his emphasis).
        There are also, in linguistics as in other sciences, non-empirical
reasons for preferring one explanation over another:  the fact that there
is a plausible processing explanation for the unacceptability (not
ungrammaticality) of rat-type sentences, coupled with the lack of a
non-arbitrary syntactic criterion for ruling them out, is itself evidence
for their grammaticality:  ceteris paribus, one chooses the simpler
explanation.
        Acidity is a technical term within a chemical theory, hence it's
the theory that tells us what's acid or not; schizophrenia is a technical
term within a theory of mental disorders; white dwarf is a technical term
within astronomical theory, etc.  There is, of course, no arguing with a
claim as to what a theory MUST do; but why should linguists feel any more
obliged to explain what laymen like me say about grammar than astronomers
should about white dwarfs?  If you want to try to explain the actual usage
of language, far be it from me to stop you.  But it does seem to me that
one is going to have one's work cut out to produce a *grammatical* theory
that will account, say, for the absence of the following utterances in most
corpora:
        a)  the rat the cat the dog chased bit died
        b)  shut up, officer, or I'll knock your teeth down your throat
        c)  he may have been being followed
        d)  colorless green ideas sleep furiously
But do what you must.

ref:  Fodor, J.A. 'The dogma that didn't bark (a fragment of a naturalized
epistemology)' Mind 100:201-20 (1991)

Kevin R. Gregg
Momoyama Gakuin University
(St. Andrew's University)