11.385, Disc: Species Extinction vs Language Extinction

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 23 19:47:06 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-385. Wed Feb 23 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.385, Disc: Species Extinction vs Language Extinction

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 20 Feb 2000 13:29:00 -0500
From:  Claire Bowern <bowern at fas.harvard.edu>

2)
Date:  Sun, 20 Feb 2000 15:25:41 -0500 (EST)
From:  Chris Beckwith <beckwith at indiana.edu>

3)
Date:  Sun, 20 Feb 2000 16:37:22 -0400
From:  "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim at worldnet.att.net>
Subject:  Re: 11.366, Disc: There are no languages

4)
Date:  Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:06:34 +1030
From:  "David Powers" <David.Powers at flinders.edu.au>

Date:  Sun, 20 Feb 2000 13:29:00 -0500
From:  Claire Bowern <bowern at fas.harvard.edu>

To quote Anthea Fraser Gupta:

 > Just to say that we need to remember that languages are constructs.
 > There are no languages.  Only people performing language and people
 > creating abstract notions of language.

 > We might as well regret the loss of the crinoline or of penny
 > farthing bicycles.

Try telling that to the last twenty speakers of Bardi.

Claire Bowern

_________________________
Department of Linguistics
Harvard University
305 Boylston Hall
Cambridge, MA  02138
ph: 617-493-4230
fax: 617-496-4447
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~lingdept/

Date:  Sun, 20 Feb 2000 15:25:41 -0500 (EST)
From:  Chris Beckwith <beckwith at indiana.edu>

I haven't been following the discussion due to computer problems, but
would like to add something to Richard Kaminski's remarks about Esperanto,
just in case no one has pointed it out yet.  The Klingon language, which
is surely a 'constructed' language, has evolved gradually rather than
having been created all at once as a complete 'construct'.  It is now
apparently evolving into a natural language, and is the vehicle for a most
interesting culture, which is itself a conscious 'construct'.  But of
course, both the language and the culture were modeled consciously on
previously existing human 'constructs'.

The fact that languages are complex and difficult to pin down (so are
cultures) is no reason to deny that they exist as entities.  Should we
mourn, though, if Klingon eventually becomes passe' and dies out?

Chris Beckwith