11.386, Disc: Species Extinction vs Language Extinction

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 23 19:49:56 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-386. Wed Feb 23 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.386, Disc: Species Extinction vs Language Extinction

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 21 Feb 2000 08:58:29 +0000
From:  larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk (Larry Trask)

2)
Date:  Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:19:41 GMT
From:  "A.F. GUPTA" <engafg at ARTS-01.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK>

Date:  Mon, 21 Feb 2000 08:58:29 +0000
From:  larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk (Larry Trask)

>  In a message dated 2/16/00 7:07:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>  linguist at linguistlist.org writes:
>
>   Just to say that we need to remember that languages are constructs.
>   There are no languages.  Only people performing language and people
>   creating abstract notions of language.

Remarkable.  Of course it is true that individual languages are not, in general,
like cut and polished diamonds, with hard, glittering edges.  But it is going too
far to conclude that therefore individual languages do not exist at all.

Compare baseball.  Before the 1850s, there was no set of agreed rules for playing
baseball.  Instead, each town played the game with somewhat different rules from
every other town, and games between towns required a certain amount of negotiation
before they could be played.  Only in the 1850s did a widely agreed set of rules
emerge.

The view above would therefore have us believe that, before the 1850s, at least,
no such game as baseball existed, but only people performing baseball and people
creating abstract notions of baseball.  Is this plausible?

In fact, the National League and the American League play the game by slightly
different rules today.  Should we therefore conclude that Major League Baseball
does not exist, at least as a game?  Is the game no more than a fantasy born of
Commissioner Selig's fevered brow?  ;-)

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex