11.398, Qs: Lang Sorting Resources, "Missing" Lang Types

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 25 19:38:24 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-398. Fri Feb 25 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.398, Qs: Lang Sorting Resources, "Missing" Lang Types

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:50:48 -0500
From:  Trish O'Grady <Trish.OGrady at sas.com>
Subject:  Looking for resources for sorting languages

2)
Date:  Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:19:26 -0800 (PST)
From:  Frederick Newmeyer <fjn at u.washington.edu>
Subject:  'missing' language types

Date:  Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:50:48 -0500
From:  Trish O'Grady <Trish.OGrady at sas.com>

Hello:

My name is Trish O'Grady.

I work for a software company named SAS Institute in Cary, North
Carolina .  I am wondering if anyone on this listserv could assist me
in finding some information that I need.  I am looking for information
(this could be a book, a web site, etc.) on the way in which different
languages sort their alphabets.  We are interested in Asian languages
(Korean, Japanese, Traditional and Simplified Chinese) as well as
Eastern and Western European (Latin1 and Latin2) languages.

We have looked at sorting programs, but they do not meet our needs.
We are working on developing an internal sorting program and need to
know sorting "rules" for the languages that we support.  We will be
sorting the index of a help system for software products.

Any information or leads that you can provide me regarding resources
on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Trish O'Grady
SAS Institute Inc.
R&D Trainer