11.111, Disc: Species Extinctions

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 21 15:06:46 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-111. Fri Jan 21 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.111, Disc: Species Extinctions

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:44:00 -0500
From:  Marc Hamann <gmh at berlove.com>
Subject:  Re: 11.100, Disc: Species Extinctions vs Language Extinctions

2)
Date:  Thu, 20 Jan 2000 08:43:04 -0500
From:  whalen at lenny.haskins.yale.edu
Subject:  Re: Species Extinctions vs Language Extinctions

Date:  Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:44:00 -0500
From:  Marc Hamann <gmh at berlove.com>

>I am an ecologist who is married to a sociolinguist (with an interest in
>endangered languages) so we talk about linguistics and ecology.  While at
>dinner the other evening, we spoke with some of my colleagues about the
>parallels between species and language and culture.  What follows are a few
>propositions and questions that you might (or might not) like to comment on.

I think that the correlation which can currently be observed between
language and species extinction is indirect and represents a relationship
between the respective _causes_ of each phenomenon.

Species become extinct because their environment (including competitors)
changes such that their adaptations are no longer effective.

A language becomes extinct because the ethnic group either a) ceases to
exist or much more frequently b) assimilates linguistically to some other
ethnic group which offers some material advantage as a benefit of
membership.  (see e.g. Wardhaugh 1988, "Languages in Competition")

In the current situation, it is the case that certain ethnic groups of
humans have developed certain technologies which offer them significant
advantages over those groups without.  Thus many groups without consciously
or unconsciously assimilate linguistically to take advantage of those
benefits too.

Now it so happens that these beneficial technologies have the side-effect
of altering the environment in ways both beneficial and harmful to humans,
but which are almost wholly harmful to other species which rely on the same
environment.  Hence massive species extinction wherever the technology goes.

Therefore the two types of extinction owe themselves to two different
aspects of the same set of technologies, even if in general they have
different causes.