11.126, Sum: Verbal Interrogatives

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 22 22:38:53 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-126. Sat Jan 22 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.126, Sum: Verbal Interrogatives

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 22 Jan 2000 18:42:58 GMT
From:  "Lameen Souag" <lameens at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Sum: Verbal interrogatives (11.119)

Date:  Sat, 22 Jan 2000 18:42:58 GMT
From:  "Lameen Souag" <lameens at hotmail.com>

Thanks a lot to everyone who sent examples.  Verbal interrogatives in fact
seem to be embarrassingly frequent (particularly around the Pacific rim by
some odd coincidence.)  Here are the cases sent in:

John Koontz:
Typical Siouan languages have a verb 'to say what/something'.  In
Omaha-Ponca:  edehe 'what did I say', edes^e 'what did you say', ede?
'what did he say'.  Also in Dakotan, e.g., Teton (Lakota).

Norvin Richards:
Ponapeian has interrogative verbs that mean things like "go
where?"--Rehg discusses these in his grammar of Ponapeian.
I've also heard Tagalog speakers inflect _ano_, the word for 'what', as a
verb (and my Tagalog dictionary, by Leo English, lists this as a
possibility)--that gets you sentences like:
1.  Umano     ka  diyan?
    Past-what you there
    'What did you do there?'
(the Tagalog verb _ano_ can also mean 'do something'.  Don't know about the
Ponapeian one)

Just ran across another one:  Lardil (Australian, probably Pama-Nyungan)
has a verb _ngajuwa_ 'to do something, to do what?':
Ngajuwathu nyi bilaanku?
do-what-FUT you tomorrow
'What are you doing tomorrow?'

Eloise Jelinek:
The Coast Salish languages of the Northwestern U.S. have been claimed
to lack a noun/verb contrast at the lexical level.  There are basic
roots which appear with inflectional material, deriving either an
NP or a VP.  There are roots meaning "do something/what" or "say
something/what", etc., in these languages, as in
	steN=sxW                            "What are you doing?"
        do:what/something=2sgNOM
	c@ '@ns-steN                        "the thing that you do"
        the 2sPOSS-do:what/something

Garland D. Bills:
Although it's not real clearcut, there is something that is kind of like a
verbal interrogative in Quechua. The interrogative forms in Quechua function
as both interrogatives and indefinites (typically but not always with
different discourse suffixes attached, but I'll ignore those here), e.g.
_pi_ who, someone', _ima_ what, something'. The latter occurs with a suffix
(that may have once been a verbalizing suffix but doesn't seem to be
productive now) to produce what might be called a "verbal
interrogative/indefinite" stem: _ima-na-_ happen, do what, do something'.
My impression is that it's not terribly productive, tending to occur in
expressions like the following:
	ima-na-saq (-saq = 1 sg future)
        What shall I do?
	ima-na-su-rqa (-su = 2 obj, -rqa = past)
        What happened to you?

Martin Haspelmath:
Nivkh (Gilyak), an isolate of Sakhalin, has the verbs jad' 'do
what?' and jaGod' 'be like what?', as in: ytyk jad'?
'What is father doing?' (ytyk = father)

Gregory D. S. Anderson:
There are in fact a number of languages that have verbal interrogatives. The
Siberian Turkic language Tuvan (Tyvan) is one such language. Both South
Munda and North Munda, Austroasiatic languages of east-central India
(Orissa, Bihar) possess interrogatives used verbally 'to what, to how' etc.

The list is long enough to make me feel rather naive.  I wonder if there are
any pre/postpositional interrogatives...

Lameen Souag