11.129, Disc: Newmeyer: Language Form & Language Function

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jan 23 16:05:09 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-129. Sun Jan 23 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.129, Disc: Newmeyer: Language Form & Language Function

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:32:38 +0100
From:  "Ingo Plag" <plag at mbox.anglistik.uni-hannover.de>

2)
Date:  21 Jan 2000 21:51:54 EDT
From:  Lotfi at www.dci.co.ir
Subject:  Disc: Review Newmeyer

3)
Date:  Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:59:38 -0000
From:  "Patrick C. Ryan" <proto-language at email.msn.com>

Date:  Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:32:38 +0100
From:  "Ingo Plag" <plag at mbox.anglistik.uni-hannover.de>

Dear listers,

There is one criticism of generative grammar that is repeated over and
over again by some functionalists, and which has now been introduced
into the discussion by Marc Hamann, namely

"the empirical vagueness which surrounds the notion of grammaticality
judgements as a measure of competence."

I once talked to a by now well-known and well-respected generativist
about this problem after he had given a paper where he made an
important theoretical point on the basis of what I considered
extremely dubious grammaticality judgements. He openly acknowledged
that the judgements were simply his own, and that he had verified them
(only) by asking his colleague next door.

I consider this type of procedure methodologically totally inadequate
(for very good reasons for this (neither pro- nor contra-generativist)
view see the references given below).

However, I don't think that anyone should use the methodological
errors commited by an individual researcher (even if perhaps commonly
commited by many more researchers of the same theoretical persuasion)
as the prime argument against the theoretical positions put forward by
these researchers.  There are many generative papers that provide
significant results and insights without recourse to any problematic
judgments.

Furthermore, recent studies of the methodological problems concerning
grammaticality judgments have shown that it is possible to gain
significant insights in many areas of grammar using grammaticality
judgments, PROVIDED IT IS PROPERLY DONE , i.e. using standardly
available empirical and statistical tools. For details and
recommendations how this can be achieved I refer the reader to the
following books:

Cowart,Wayne. 1997. Experimental Syntax: Applying Objective Methods to
    Sentence Judgments. Beverly Hills/London: Sage.
Schütze,Carsten. 1996. The Empirical Base of Linguistics: Grammaticality
    Judgments and Linguistic Methodology. Chicago: University of
    Chicago Press.

In sum, I don't see any a priori reason why grammaticality judgments
should be excluded from our data base (be it for functionalist or
formalist studies), or how the problems involved with this kind of
data are an argument for or against any theory or theoretical
persuasion.

Best regards,
Ingo Plag

Prof. Dr. Ingo Plag
Englisches Seminar
Universitaet Hannover
Koenigsworther Platz 1
D-30167 Hannover

Tel: (0511) 762-5119
Tel: Secretary Ms. Kemnitzer (0511) 762-4748
Fax: (0511) 762-2996

e-mail: plag at mbox.anglistik.uni-hannover.de
http://www.fbls.uni-hannover.de/angli/plag/welcome.html