11.131, FYI: Biodiversity and language: funding opportunity

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jan 23 17:33:43 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-131. Sun Jan 23 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.131, FYI: Biodiversity and language: funding opportunity

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 22 Jan 2000 10:27:17 -0500
From:  "Catherine N. Ball" <cball at gusun.georgetown.edu>

Date:  Sat, 22 Jan 2000 10:27:17 -0500
From:  "Catherine N. Ball" <cball at gusun.georgetown.edu>

In LINGUIST 11.111 Doug Whalen notes that 'The parallels between
homogeneity in biological populations and in language systems is a
topic that is less commonly explored.'.

Those who are interested in this topic might have an angle on a
funding opportunity at the National Science Foundation which I have
delayed announcing to the list, because I couldn't think of a good
'hook' for linguists:

Biocomplexity Special Competition: Integrated Research to Understand
and Model Complexity Among Biological, Physical and Social Systems
(the full announcement is at
http://www.nsf.gov/cgi-bin/getpub?nsf0022)

There is quite a lot of money being devoted to this initiative at
NSF, and I hope that some linguists will take advantage of it. The
proposal deadline is March 1 for 'Incubation Activities that enable
groups of researchers who have not historically collaborated on
biocomplexity research to develop projects via focused workshops,
virtual meetings, and other types of development and planning
activities.' For regular research proposals, the deadline is also
March 1 but a letter of intent is being requested by Jan. 31. If you
miss this year's competition, there is expected to be another one
next year; but an incubation activity this year should be a good
headstart for a regular research proposal the following year.

  -- Cathy Ball (cball at nsf.gov)
      Program Director, Linguistics
      National Science Foundation