11.181, Disc: Phonemic Analysis

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 28 12:19:30 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-181. Fri Jan 28 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.181, Disc: Phonemic Analysis

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:35:13 -0500 (EST)
From:  Jorge Guitart <guitart at acsu.buffalo.edu>
Subject:  Re: 11.155, Disc: Phonemic Analysis

2)
Date:  Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:00:45 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Richard D. Janda" <rjanda at ling.ohio-state.edu>
Subject:  11.156., Disc: Phonemic Analysis

3)
Date:  26 Jan 2000 16:03:03 -0000
From:  "Geoffrey S. Nathan" <geoffn at siu.edu>
Subject:  Phonemic analysis

Date:  Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:35:13 -0500 (EST)
From:  Jorge Guitart <guitart at acsu.buffalo.edu>

Have I been dreaming all this time and the year is 1943 or 44? No, it
can't be, because generative phonology was mentioned, and that was
invented in the 60s.

I never thought I would see anybody advocating autonomous phonemics in the
year 2000.

To me the best foundation for the best discovery procedure possible in
phonology, given the state of our knowledge about cognition, computation,
and yes,phonetics, is for someone to learn the language well and then become a
theoretical phonologist interested, not in grouping sounds into classes
(by pretending to start from the sounds while knowing all the time that
the sounds are parts of meaningful units called morphemes and words)  but
in proposing models that attempt to answer, among others, the question of
how we recognize physically different sequences of sounds ***as the same
word***, even though the identity of the sounds has been distorted to the
point of not being pronounced at all (deletion) or pronounced with
gestures that make them identical to sounds with which they contrast
distinctively under non-distortive conditions (assimilation).

We should not try to find out what the phonemes of the language are
starting from the sounds: biuniqueness is not an inviolate constraint of
any known human language and using minimal pairs is cheating because you
are assuming that sounds are part of words but you said you were starting
from the sounds. Rather, we should find out what phonemes are starting
from the lexical units, then see what happens to them under conditions
of distortions, and then propose a theory of what mediates between lexical
units and their physical realizations.

The theory certainly should not be classical generative phonology, but
that is a straw man that no serious phonologist I know, or know of, is
trying to prop up.

Jorge Guitart
State University of New York at Buffalo