11.183, FYI: Endangered Lang, Cogn-Ling Dictionary, Basque

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 28 18:21:36 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-183. Fri Jan 28 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.183, FYI: Endangered Lang, Cogn-Ling Dictionary, Basque

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:38:09 -0500
From:  whalen at haskins.yale.edu
Subject:  Endangered Language Fund Grants, 2000

2)
Date:  Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:01:58 -0500
From:  Danko Sipka <sipkadan at erols.com>
Subject:  Cognitive-Linguistic Dictionary: SerboCroatian-English

3)
Date:  Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:32:47 EST
From:  DFOKeefe at aol.com
Subject:  Origins of the Basque Language

Date:  Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:38:09 -0500
From:  whalen at haskins.yale.edu

The Endangered Language Fund is pleased to announce its Request for
Proposals for 2000.  The Fund is a nonprofit organization dedicated to
the scientific description of endangered languages, support for
maintenance efforts, and dissemination of the results of those two
effort to the scholarly community and the native communities.  The
grants we award are made possible by the support of our members.
Please visit our web site at http://www.ling.yale.edu/~elf .

               Request for Proposals, 2000
                 Endangered Language Fund

The Endangered Language Fund provides grants for language maintenance
and linguistic field work.  The work most likely to be funded is that
which serves both the native community and the field of linguistics.
Work which has immediate applicability to one group and more distant
application to the other will also be considered.  Publishing
subventions are a low priority, although they will be considered.  The
language involved must be in danger of disappearing within a
generation or two. Endangerment is a continuum, and the location on
the continuum is one factor in our funding decisions.  Eligible
expenses include travel, tapes, films, consultant fees, etc.  Grants
are normally for one year periods, though extensions may be applied
for.  We expect grants in this round to be less than $3,000 in size.

NOTE:  At least two awards will be made for work on languages in
the state of Oklahoma.  Language communities there and researchers
working on those languages are particularly encouraged to apply.

HOW TO APPLY
There is no form, but the information requested below should be
printed (on one side only) and FOUR COPIES sent to:
      The Endangered Language Fund
      Dept. of Linguistics
      Yale University
      P. O. Box 208236
      New Haven, CT  06520-8236
      USA
The street address for express mail services is:
      The Endangered Language Fund
      Department of Linguistics
      320 York Street
      Yale University
      New Haven, CT  06520
Applications must be mailed in.  No e-mail or fax applications will be
accepted.  Please note that regular mail, especially from abroad, can
take up to four weeks.  If you have any questions, please write to the
same address or email to: elf at haskins.yale.edu
      REQUIRED INFORMATION:
      COVER PAGE:
The first page should contain:
      TITLE OF THE PROJECT
      NAME OF LANGUAGE AND COUNTRY IN WHICH IT IS SPOKEN
      NAME OF PRIMARY RESEARCHER
      ADDRESS OF PRIMARY RESEARCHER  (include phone and email if possible.)
      SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER (if U.S. citizen)
      PLACE AND DATE OF BIRTH
      PRESENT POSITION, EDUCATION, AND NATIVE LANGUAGE(S).
      PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE AND/OR PUBLICATIONS THAT ARE RELEVANT.
Include the same information for collaborating researchers if any.
This information may continue on the next page.

DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT:
Beginning on a separate page, provide a description of the project.
This should normally take two pages, single spaced, but the maximum is
five pages.  Be detailed about the type of material that is to be
collected and/or produced, and the value it will have to the native
community (including relatives and descendants who do not speak the
language) and to linguistic science.  Give a brief description of the
state of endangerment of the language in question.

BUDGET:
On a separate page, prepare an itemized budget that lists expected
costs for the project.  Estimates are acceptable, but they must be
realistic. Please translate the amounts into US dollars.  List other
sources of support you are currently receiving or expect to receive
and other applications that relate to the current one.

LETTER OF SUPPORT:
Two letters of support are recommended, but not required.  Note that
these letters, if sent separately, must arrive on or before the
deadline (April 20th, 2000) in order to be considered. If more than
two letters are sent, only the first two received will be read.

LIMIT TO ONE PROPOSAL
A researcher can be primary researcher on only one proposal.

DEADLINE
Applications must be received by APRIL 20th, 2000.  Decisions will be
delivered by the end of May, 2000.

ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF RECEIPT
Receipt of application will be made by email if an email address is
given.  Otherwise, the applicant must include a self-addressed
post-card in order to receive the acknowledgment.

IF A GRANT IS AWARDED
Before receiving any funds, university-based applicants must show that
they have met the requirements of their university's human subjects'
committee.  Tribal- or other-based applicants must provide equivalent
assurance that proper protocols are being used.
If a grant is made and accepted, the recipient is required to provide
the Endangered Language Fund with a short formal report of the project
and to provide the Fund with copies of all publications resulting from
materials obtained with the assistance of the grant.
      FURTHER ENQUIRIES can be made to:
      The Endangered Language Fund
      Dept. of Linguistics
      Yale University