11.488, Disc: Species Extinction vs Language Extinction

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 7 13:26:25 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-488. Tue Mar 7 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.488, Disc: Species Extinction vs Language Extinction

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 06 Mar 2000 12:19:36 +0100
From:  José Luis Guijarro Morales <joseluis.guijarro at uca.es>
Subject:  Re: 11.469, Disc: Species Extinction vs Language Distinction

2)
Date:  Mon, 6 Mar 2000 13:04:59 -0800 (PST)
From:  Dan Moonhawk Alford <dalford at haywire.csuhayward.edu>
Subject:  Language/Species extinction: what is language?

Date:  Mon, 06 Mar 2000 12:19:36 +0100
From:  José Luis Guijarro Morales <joseluis.guijarro at uca.es>

At 01:24 6/03/00 -0000, A.F. GUPTA wrote:

>I think we shouldn't forget that LANGUAGE and A LANGUAGE are two very
>different concepts.  I would argue that LANGUAGE has a much stronger
>external identity that A LANGUAGE, and indeed that as linguists we
>are relatively agreed on what constitutes LANGUAGE (disagreements
>about whether, for example, chimpanzees who have been taugt a
>symbolic system have LANGUAGE tend to focus on whether what the
>chimpanzees are doing is LANGUAGE  rather than on competing
>definitions of LANGUAGE.  LANGUAGE is in no danger of becoming
>extinct!
>
>Anthea

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Hello, there!

I have just joined the LINGUIST list and have been interested by this
particular statement about "language and "A language". It is a pity that
where English speaking folks have only one word, i.e., "language", French
have two, "langue" and "langage", and we Spaniards have three, namely,
"idioma", "lengua" and "lenguaje". For, if Jerry Fodor was right when he
said that "what is wrong is that we do not make the necessary distinctions",
it then becomes apparent that there must be something VERY wrong with this
just one term for English speaking linguists which may cover, not two
realities (what is a reality?), as it is implied above, but even three! To
tell you the truth (and to avoid unnecessary boasting) in Spanish "idioma"
and "lengua" are almost synonymous. I had to write a whole essay to make the
distinction between one and the other acceptable --though I don't know if I
succeeded!. But still, in Spanish one is able to distinguish clearly between
the "lenguaje" of animals, the sign "lenguaje", the "lenguaje" of the mind,
or the PROLOG "lenguaje",etc. which cannot be "lengua" or "idioma" in that
context in non marked situations. I further tried to distinguish "lengua" as
the one defined by some kind of universal grammar or other (i.e., one in
which parameters are not yet fixed and which is therefore a human species
attribute) and "idioma" as the linguistic faculty we have imprinted from our
cultural surroundings, i.e., the "idioma" of the English, the Spanish
"idioma". As I said before, this last distinction is not generally accepted
in Spanish which tends to use "idioma" and "lengua" in almost the same contexts.

According to my view of the matter, then, neither "lenguaje" nor "lengua"
are in danger of disappearing, at least until some horrid bomb or an great
sized asteroid destroys the living beings now in possession of some kind of
representational power in their minds (in the case of "lenguaje") or with
the human race (in the case of "lengua"). What is indeed in the process of
changing all the time, though, is the collection of "idiomas" we have now in
the world. Some of them may disappear shortly, others, as the Basque, may
have a political motivation to make them important for some people and defer
their disappearance. Others, spoken by a vast quantity of people are surely
changing in different parts of the world and may one day become new
"idiomas" (as it happened with Latin and the Romance languages).

"One has to make the necessary distinctions..."

Cheers!

José Luis GUIJARRO MORALES
Universidad de Cádiz
Facultad de Filosofía y Letras
Departamento de Filología Francesa e Inglesa
Gómez Ulla, 1
11003 Cádiz, España (Spain)
Tlf.  (34) 956.015.526
Fax. (34) 956.015.501