11.2515, Sum: North American Dialect Regions

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Nov 22 03:55:34 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-2515. Tue Nov 21 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.2515, Sum: North American Dialect Regions

Editors: Karen Milligan, Wayne State U. <karen at linguistlist.org>
         Michael Appleby, E. Michigan U. <michael at linguistlist.org>
         Rob Beltz, E. Michigan U. <rob at linguistlist.org>
         Lydia Grebenyova, E. Michigan U. <lydia at linguistlist.org>
         Marie Klopfenstein, Wayne State U. <marie at linguistlist.org>
         Ljuba Veselinova, Stockholm U. <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:51:35 -0800
From:  Robin Belvin <robin at hrl.com>
Subject:  North American Dialect Regions

Date:  Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:51:35 -0800
From:  Robin Belvin <robin at hrl.com>

Dear Linguists,
    Long, long ago (February), in a Linguist List posting not very
far away, I posted the following query about dialect regions
in the U.S. and Canada.  I am finally posting the summary.
I have included at the beginning my own summary based
on responses and a little of my own reading, and following
this I have included most of the actual responses.  I note
in passing that, while I posted a query about North
American dialects of  French and English (i.e. U.S. and
Canada), I received a number of very helpful responses
about the dialects of Canada, and very few about the U.S.
(though thanks to those who did offer comments about
U.S. English).  Therefore there is much more in the following
about Canadian dialects than U.S. dialects.

Thanks again to all the respondants,
Robert Belvin

***************MY ORIGINAL Query********************

First, is there a consensus among dialectologists on
what the major dialect areas are for North American English?
I have a NIST spoken language corpus which identifies eight
(New England, Northern, North Midland, South Midland,
Southern, NYC, Western and 'Army Brat' (i.e. transient)),
and I would be interested in knowing how widely
held this rough division of areas is.

Second, which if any of the Canadian (English) dialect
regions can be lumped into one of the US regions?

Third, is Canadian French relatively uniform, or are there
distinct dialect regions comparable to those which exist
among North American English speakers?

******************MY SUMMARY************************

*Summary of English dialect regions in the USA*

The seven main dialect regions identified in the NIST corpus
  are fairly widely agreed upon, though one could obviously
make finer-grained distinctions (e.g. distinguishing Brooklyn
from Manhattan, California from the rest of Western, etc.).
Nobody had ever heard of "Army brat" as a term used for
dialects.

*Summary of English and French dialect regions in Canada*

Canadian French:
There are 3 major dialects which correspond roughly to
geographical regions:

- Acadian French, spoken along the Atlantic seabord, in
several small areas of Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and
Newfoundland and a somewhat larger area in New Brunswick.

- Quebec French, with Quebec city and Montreal as the main
centers; though Acadian French and other smaller dialectal
varieties exist in Quebec, Papen (98:160) reports that 85%
of the population of Quebec province have QF as their mother
tongue.  (Also the French in Labrador is close to Quebec
French.)

- Western varieties, spread over smaller communities in
Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta; Papen remarks
that although there are three sources of French for the
western dialects (Métis, European immigrants and migrating
Quebecois), the majority of the influence comes from Quebec.

The situation is more complicated then this, of course,
because people have moved around and there is social
stratification which has resulted in there being variation
within a given area depending on a given speaker's education
and family background. As with North American English, there
is a standard dialect (based on educated Quebec French) as
well as the colloquial dialects, which the foregoing
tripartite division mostly comprises. The standard dialect
is apparently very uniform all across the country, and is
fairly close to Standard European French (what is sometimes
called "Metropolitan French").

In addition to this there are several other distinct but much
smaller speech communities; several linguists mentioned
Gaspésie (in some areas of the Gaspé peninsula) and La
Beauce as important.

________________________________

Canadian English

There appear to be three major English dialects in Canada,
again roughly corresponding to geographical areas (I haven't
gotten as much info. on this as for French):

Newfoundland (centered around St. John's)

Ottawa valley (centered around Ottawa)

Western (including Ontario and the western provinces)

There is some variation within the western areas, and again,
it will vary considerably between socio-economic
groups; the tripartite distinction just noted applies
primarily to colloquial English. Also like Canadian French,
there is really only one standard dialect.  J.K. Chambers,
who everyone seems to regard as the expert in this area
remarks:

"Standard Canadian English is heard in cities and towns from
sea to sea with virtually no variation.  This is not to say
that CE lacks variation, only that standard CE does.
Canadians who are not (at least) second-generation, middle-
class city-dwellers have varied accents."  ("English:
Canadian varieties" in J.Edwards, op.cit, p. 254).

Again, the responses I got from linguists responding to my
query mostly agree with the articles I looked at, though I
have not yet been able to confirm that there is a consensus
on the tripartite distinction given above; the only thing
that everyone really clearly agrees on is that: 1. Standard
CE is VERY uniform, 2. Colloquial Newfoundland English is
very different than the colloquial dialects of
the rest of the country.