12.991, Sum: Use of the Term 'Reporting'

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 9 23:22:42 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-991. Mon Apr 9 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.991, Sum: Use of the Term 'Reporting'

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 07 Apr 2001 04:16:44 -0000
From:  <nakayasum at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Use of the Term 'Reporting'

Date:  Sat, 07 Apr 2001 04:16:44 -0000
From:  <nakayasum at hotmail.com>

Dear Linguists,

Several months ago I posted a question (Linguist 11.1695) on the term
'reporting.'  I apologize for being late in posting a summary.  The query
goes as in the following:

Dear Linguists,

Does anyone know who is the first to use the term 'reporting'?   Or do you
know an umbrella term which covers reported thought and perception as well
as reported speech?  As far as I know, Thompson (1994) uses 'reporting,' and
Janssen and van der Wurff (1996) (and many others) employ 'reported speech.'
  Thank you very much in advance.  I will post a summary if I receive enough