12.1091, Qs: Lengthening/Belgian French, Chinese Characters

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 19 21:52:51 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1091. Thu Apr 19 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1091, Qs: Lengthening/Belgian French, Chinese Characters

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:35:42 +0100
From:  Neil Coffey <nc124 at york.ac.uk>
Subject:  Final lengthening/segmental duration in Belgian French

2)
Date:  Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:08:02 +0700
From:  Mikula <hhthuy at hn.vnn.vn>
Subject:  Chinese Characters in Japanese and Korean

Date:  Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:35:42 +0100
From:  Neil Coffey <nc124 at york.ac.uk>

Dear linguists,

I would be interested in any pointers people might have to any
research on segmental duration/prosody which has considered
Belgian French.

My question arises from a recent experiment I conducted
investigating segmental duration in lists. I recorded a speaker
from Nothern France and a francophone speaker from Belgium. The
French speaker realises initial accents with lengthening of the
syllable onset, and final accents with lengthening of the
syllable rhyme. This behaviour tallies with lengthening
behaviour previously reported (Astésano). However, the
Belgian speaker consistently realises final accents with a
lengthening of both onset and rhyme. I was wondering if this
behaviour had been previously noted -- in particular, I
am interested in knowing whether Belgian speakers realise
final accents in this way generally, or whether it might be
a specific property of the list context.

With thanks,
Neil Coffey
nc124 at york.ac.uk