12.1182, Sum: Focus/Narrow Syntax/Bangla

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 30 14:27:39 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1182. Mon Apr 30 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1182, Sum: Focus/Narrow Syntax/Bangla

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 29 Apr 2001 06:48:46 +0530
From:  "sharbani" <sharbe at vsnl.net>
Subject:  Focus/Narrow Syntax/Bangla

Date:  Sun, 29 Apr 2001 06:48:46 +0530
From:  "sharbani" <sharbe at vsnl.net>

For Query: Linguist 12.1132

A few days ago I had posted the following queries to the LINGUIST.

Q.1)  I have worked on a very large portion of Bangla Syntax in my
thesis called 'Grammar of Case and Adposition----a parametric Study',
under Minimalist framework. During the course of my study I found that
Focus plays a very big role in 'Narrow Syntax' in Bangla.I am looking for
some work which treats Focus in  'Narrow Syntax' and not as an 'Interface'
condition only.

Q.2) I have Widows 98 and Ms Word and  Acrobat Reader in my computer. I
can't download .GZ and other file types.

I am extremely grateful to the following people for helping me with the
queries:

Ans to Q.1):
I) Tamara Rae Neuberger wrote:

I am working on a paper which can account for various narrow readings of
focus, and I am interested in hearing about what you have learned. If
you are more specific about what you are looking for, I may be able to point
you to some related papers or give you a copy of my paper, which is a
work in progress.
II)  Nomi Erteschik-Shir wrote

You might be interested in my 1997 book entitled "The Dynamics of Focus
Structure" (Cambridge University Press). I argue that focus structure is
indeed part of grammar and discuss its role wrt binding, quantifier
scope, wh-movement and much more.
 I would definitely be interested in your work on Bangla.

Nomi Erteschik-Shir wrote
Department of Foreign Literatures and Linguistics
Ben-Gurion University
P.O.Box 653, Beer Sheva 84105, Israel

972-8-6461117  Fax: 972-8-6472907  Home: 972-8-6469482
http://www.bgu.ac.il/~shir
III) Anna Szabolcsi wrote:

Hungarian is a language whose generative literature treats focus as part
of narrow syntax. You might want to get in touch with
Michael Brody <brody at nytud.hu>
Katalin E. Kiss <ekiss at nytud.hu>
Julia Horvath <horvath at post.tau.ac.il>

Anna Szabolcsi=20
Dept. of Linguistics, New York University
719 Broadway, #501, NY, NY 10003
tel (212) 998 7956, fax (212) 995 4707=20
http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/lingu/
IV)Cedric Boecks wrote

I just saw your message on the linguistlist. I'd be interested in reading
your dissertation. Is there any way I could get a copy of it (email
attachment would be fine)?

Cedric Boeckx
Dept. of Linguistics
University of Connecticut, U-1145
341 Mansfield Rd
Storrs, CT 06269-1145 (USA)
Tel: (860) 486-4229
http://www.sp.uconn.edu/~ceb99001
Answer to Q2):
' I can't download .GZ and other file types'.

I) Mike Maxwell wrote:

GZ is GnuZip, a compression format.  Inside the GZ file is another file,
often a Postscript file, sometimes a PDF file.

It should be possible to find free GnuUnzip programs on the web, but if
you're on a PC, I'd suggest instead downloading the freeware program
PowerDesk.  This is like the Windows FileManager, but better :-).  In
addition to being able to automatically uncompress numerous compression
formats (Zip, Gzip, tar, ...), it uses the Windows' QuickView program
_internally_ to let you view a number of file formats.  (Unfortunately,
Postscript is not one of them, but see below.)  Press F9 and the files
show up in a window internal to PowerDesk; as you move from one file to
another, the viewer window automatically shows each file in succession
(great for browsing).The viewer program does not work under Windows2000,
but it will work on most other versions of Windows.  (And the non-free
version of PowerDesk has a built-in viewer for even more file formats,
which Win2k, and only costs $20 or so.)  Their website is www.ontrack.com.
And they don't pay me for saying this, but tell them I sent you...

As for Postscript files (a very common format for papers on-line), some
printers will print them directly.  But if your printer doesn't, or if
you want to preview the files before cutting down trees, there are two
freeware programs you'll need (actually, one asks for money, but keeps
working even if you don't register it): Ghostscript (a Postscript
interpreter (which allows you to view Postscript files in Windows, and print
them even if you don't have a Postscript printer).  The links are at
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost .  To my knowledge, you can't use GSView
internally to an Internet browser window, but you can easily download the
file.  If you've installed PowerDesk, it will automatically unzip it, so
when Windows asks for the filename, give it ".ps" as the suffix (not
.gz). Then when it's downloaded just open it, and GSView will automatically
display it.

   Mike Maxwell
  Summer Institute of Linguistics
  Mike_Maxwell at sil.org

II) Mathew Purver wrote:

WinZip will handle .tar, .tgz, .tar.gz, .gz files. You can get it from:
http://www.winzip.com
Many papers, once unzipped, are in PostScript (.ps) format, so you will
also need GSView to read them:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

Matthew Purver  <matthew.purver at kcl.ac.uk>
Computational Linguistics and Natural Language Processing Group
Department of Computer Science
King's College London, Strand, London WC2R 2LS

III) Ashish Mehta wrote:

Since you have the acrobat reader, you shouldn't have any problem in
reading Mat Rooth's paper (I am referring to the one called "Focus") as
it is in the PDF format. I suggest you to go thru' the  following way:
check for "old courses" in Pual Hagstrom's site
<www.bu.edu/linguistics/UG/hagstrom>) and there's one page
devoted to the Focus seminar. Here you can have access to a number of
papers, including the ones by Mat Rooth- all in PDF. For example, there
is one general "state-of-the-art" survey article from
Glotinternational.com (another worthy site).

SHARBANI BANERJI
(C/o Centre for Applied Linguistics and Translation Studies,
 University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad-500,046, India).
Contact address (Home):
D-84, 'Matri Mandir', Sector-IX, New Vijay Nagar, Ghaziabad, U.P,
India--201,009.
sharbe at vsnl.net