12.1947, Qs: Semantic Narrowing in Borrowing, IE Theses

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 1 20:46:57 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1947. Wed Aug 1 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1947, Qs: Semantic Narrowing in Borrowing, IE Theses

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Date:  Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:23:01 +1000
From:  Patrick McConvell <patrick.mcconvell at aiatsis.gov.au>
Subject:  Semantic narrowing in borrowing

2)
Date:  Wed, 1 Aug 2001 16:12:46 +0800
From:  "Li Baoli" <libaoli at 263.net>
Subject:  Thesis about Information Extraction

Date:  Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:23:01 +1000
From:  Patrick McConvell <patrick.mcconvell at aiatsis.gov.au>

I am enquiring about the  phenomenon whereby only a certain sense of a
diffused lexical item is borrowed into another language, corresponding
usually to a 'new' sense or concept in the recipient language, often
dependent on the context of borrowing. This seemed to people I have
discussed it with a well-known phenomenon with a basis in common sense, and
we could think of examples without trouble, but I have not been able to
find references to it in the literature as a principle of semantic change.
A couple of examples from Australian Aboriginal languages that I work on
would include:
(1) borrowing of an item polysemous between 'throw' and 'spin (string)'
only in the second sense, probably in the context of a new spinning
technique arriving;
(2) an item meaning 'large group (of anything)' being borrowed into another
language only in the sense of 'herd of cattle' when borrowed in the context
of the cattle industry. The latter is more a matter of pragmatic narrowing
than loss of polysemy, but the same broad principle seems to be at work.
These are exotic examples from small languages - no doubt there are many in
English and other more widely known languages. More than examples though I
am interested in whether anybody has named or analysed this phenomenon.

Patrick McConvell
Research Fellow, Language and Society
Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
GPO Box 553, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia