12.1975, Disc: Semantics and Pragmatics of to-contraction

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 6 22:31:02 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1975. Mon Aug 6 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1975, Disc: Semantics and Pragmatics of to-contraction

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Date:  Mon, 6 Aug 2001 02:18:27 -0700 (MST)
From:  rtroike at u.arizona.edu
Subject:  http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/12/12-1971.html

2)
Date:  Mon, 6 Aug 2001 14:31:56 -0400
From:  "Mills, Carl (MILLSCR)" <MILLSCR at UCMAIL.UC.EDU>
Subject:  RE: 12.1964, Disc: New: Semantics and Pragmatics of to-contractio  n

3)
Date:  Mon, 6 Aug 2001 14:06:29 -0500
From:  "Dan Everett" <Dan.Everett at man.ac.uk>
Subject:  reading carefully: response to to-contraction

4)
Date:  Mon, 06 Aug 2001 09:21:03 +0100
From:  Dick Hudson <dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>

Date:  Mon, 6 Aug 2001 02:18:27 -0700 (MST)
From:  rtroike at u.arizona.edu

There may be some US/British differences for some respondents, but for me,
as a Texan,

	1a. I gotta go.  (= I must go.)

is derivable from an uncontracted:

	1b. I have got to go. (or, alternatively, I have to go/hafta go.)

	2a. I got to go.  (= I was allowed/able to go.)

is the past tense of

	2b. I get to go.

which has a possible present perfect (though rare)

	2c. I have ('ve) gotten to go.

As these are different lexical verbs (the first is arguably a small "v"),
it is entirely reasonable to suppose that, as suggested, they take
different complements and thus have different syntactic behaviors. The
apparent puzzle may be no more than between different interpretations of
"They decided on the boat."

	Rudy Troike