12.2052, All: The passing of Linguist Manuel Alvar Lopez

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 16 17:58:00 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-2052. Thu Aug 16 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.2052, All: The passing of Linguist Manuel Alvar Lopez

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: Dina Kapetangianni <dina at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:41:10 -0400
From:  Elizabeth <martineze at cofc.edu>
Subject:  The passing of Hispanic Linguist Manuel Alvar Lopez

Date:  Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:41:10 -0400
From:  Elizabeth <martineze at cofc.edu>

It saddens me to send this message about the passing of one of the
best Hispanists of our times. Manuel Alvar Lopez passed away on
Monday, August 13th. His burial took place in the small town of
Chinchon, outside of Madrid, Spain. Don Manuel, as many of us called
him, was a part of the faculty at several universities in the United
States over his life time. I had the pleasure of working with him at
SUNY Albany. He was a member of the Real Academia of the Spanish
Language and published the Linguistic Atlases of the various regions
of Spain and 14 volumes of Spanish America. Unfortunately he was not
able to complete this task. He published an uncountable number of
books and articles in the area of linguistics as well as
literature. He was a caring and humbled man. He was one of the great
Hispanists of our time and he will be greatly missed.