12.2057, Jobs: Functional Ling Asst Prof, Rice U, TX USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 17 13:38:34 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-2057. Fri Aug 17 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.2057, Jobs: Functional Ling Asst Prof, Rice U, TX USA

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: Heather Taylor-Loring <heather at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  15 Aug 2001 21:02:01 -0000
From:  Philip W.Davis <pwd at rice.edu>
Subject:  Functional linguistics: Assistant Professor at Rice University, TX USA

Date:  15 Aug 2001 21:02:01 -0000
From:  Philip W.Davis <pwd at rice.edu>

Rank of Job: Assistant Professor
Areas Required: Functional linguistics
Other Desired Areas: Fieldowrk in non-Indo-European, phonology,
historical linguistics
University or Organization: Rice University
Department: Linguistics
State or Province: TX
Country: USA
Final Date of Application: November 15, 2001
Contact: Philip W. Davis pwd at rice.edu

Address for Applications:
6100 Main
Houston
TX 77005
USA

	 	Assistant Professor of Linguistics
			Rice University

	The Department of Linguistics, Rice University, is seeking to
fill a tenure-track position in linguistics at the level of assistant
professor beginning fall, 2002. The Ph.D. is required.

	The Department offers degrees at the B.A. and at the
Ph.D. levels. The orientation of the Department is strongly
functionalist and usage-based.  The faculty adopts an integrative
approach that is sensitive to language in its many contexts:
discourse, social, cognitive, historical, etc. We emphasize language
description, typological generalizations, functional explanations, and
fieldwork experience.

	 We expect the successful candidate to share the orientation
of the Department, to have an active research program, and to have
demonstrated excellence in teaching. Preference will be given to those
who (1) have research experience in fieldwork on (a) non-Indo-European
language(s), (2) are comfortable teaching courses not only in their
area(s) of specialization, but also in phonology and/or historical
linguistics. The normal teaching load is two courses per semester.

	Interviews will be held in January, 2002 at the LSA meeting in
San Francisco. For full consideration, applications including cover
letter, CV, three letters of reference, and one representative article
must be received by November 15, 2001. Reply to: Faculty Search,
Department of Linguistics MS23, Rice University, 6100 Main St.,
Houston, TX 77005.  E-mail: ling at ruf.rice. edu. Webpage:
http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~ling/.  AA/EOE.