12.373, Jobs: Modified #12.142: Intern at Microsoft, WA, USA

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 13 06:26:03 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-373. Tue Feb 13 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.373, Jobs: Modified #12.142: Intern at Microsoft, WA, USA

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU

Editor for this issue: Michael Appleby <michael at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  8 Feb 2001 22:41:48 -0000
From:  Angel Baum <rintern at microsoft.com>
Subject:  Modified Re: 12.142: Research: Intern at Microsoft, WA, USA

Date:  8 Feb 2001 22:41:48 -0000
From:  Angel Baum <rintern at microsoft.com>

Rank of Job: Intern
Areas Required: Research
Other Desired Areas: Natural Languages
University or Organization: Microsoft Corporation
Department: Natural Languages
State or Province: Redmond, WA
Country: USA
Final Date of Application: 2/28/01
Contact: Angel Baum rintern at microsoft.com

Address for Applications:
One Microsoft Way
Redmond
WA 98052
USA

*
Modified issue #12.142: Please note the changed application deadline:
February 28, 2001
*

We are pleased to announce an internship opportunity in the Natural
Language Processing group at Microsoft Research in Redmond,
Washington.  Please feel free to forward this mail to anyone who may
be interested.

We are looking for an intern to help improve a statistical spelling
correction algorithm within the Microsoft Natural Language Processing
System by incorporating pronunciation modeling.  Last year MSR
researchers developed a new statistical model for spelling correction
that improved substantially on the previous state of the art.  It
appears that many of the residual errors made by the new algorithm
could be corrected by modifying it to take word pronunication into
account.  Qualified applicants must be pursuing a graduate degree in
Computer Science, Computational Linguistics or related discipline.
Good programming skills (C++ and/or Perl) and a basic understanding of
probability theory are required.  Specialized knowledge of statistical
approaches to NLP is highly desirable.

Since the early 1990s, the Natural Language Processing group in
Microsoft Research has been building the system -- infrastructure and
grammars -- that serves as the underpinnings for Microsoft's
linguistic product features. We are looking for people with
backgrounds in Linguistics and/or Natural Language Processing to help
us advance our ambitious research and product goals.

To meet this challenge, we need outstanding research scientists with
the vision, knowledge, passion, and commitment to be part of our team.
What better way to get an up close and personal look at this future
than by spending the summer working on very challenging projects with
some very bright researchers?  Our past interns have greatly impacted
research in key technical areas, published papers based on their
summer work at MSR, established strong ties with our industrial
research staff as well as other interns, been challenged to look at
super tough problems in new ways, and all the while, having fun doing
it.

If you'd like to learn more about the research groups, check out
http://www.research.microsoft.com/research/ and then visit
http://www.research.microsoft.com/opportunities/interns/ for more
information on our internship opportunities.

To apply, please send your resume as a Word document or in ASCII text
and recommendation letters to 'rintern at microsoft.com' We look forward
to hearing from you.