12.448, Qs: Urdu Pedagogy, LaTeX Linguistic Materials

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 19 01:53:36 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-448. Sun Feb 18 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.448, Qs: Urdu Pedagogy, LaTeX Linguistic Materials

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU

Date:  Sun, 18 Feb 2001 9:47:03 EST
From:  Asad Sayeed <asayeed at chat.carleton.ca>
Subject:  Urdu pedagogy

2)
Date:  Sun, 18 Feb 2001 9:33:10 EST
From:  Asad Sayeed <asayeed at chat.carleton.ca>
Subject:  LaTeX linguistics packages

Date:  Sun, 18 Feb 2001 9:47:03 EST
From:  Asad Sayeed <asayeed at chat.carleton.ca>

Hello.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good teaching materials for Urdu,
particularly for people who speak English but may already have some
Pakistani cultural exposure.  I'm primarily looking for material for adult
learners, but children's material is also welcome.  In particular, I'm
looking for books which are

1) entertaining/amusing. I find this to be very important--I myself cannot
really use materials which bore me in learning a language.

2) Contain good grammatical explanations, preferably in English, possibly
as well as Urdu.

3) Contain good exercises.

4) Can be used for self-study.

Thank you.