12.561, Qs: Ellipsis in English, Anglicisms in Spanish

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 28 16:06:46 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-561. Wed Feb 28 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.561, Qs: Ellipsis in English, Anglicisms in Spanish

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU

Date:  Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:20:46 -0800
From:  "George A. Senf" <george.senf at verizon.net>
Subject:  English Elipese

2)
Date:  Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:27:57 -0700
From:  Douglas C Walker <dcwalker at ucalgary.ca>
Subject:  Anglicisms in Spanish

Date:  Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:20:46 -0800
From:  "George A. Senf" <george.senf at verizon.net>

Dear Readers,

I have heard that English is more elliptical than other languages from
two sources. One is a grad student working on a degree in
linguistics. The only thing remaining in her program in her
thesis. When asked for documentation, she could produce none. The
second source was Sharon Russel in a TV graduate course broadcast over
channel 58 in Los Angles as part of course 407 from Cal. State
Dominguez Hills. My notes reflect the same comment. I have attempted
to contact her for citations but she has not responded as of yet. My
sources include most of D, Crystal's Encyclopedias; Jean Aitchison's
Linguistics; L. Obler and K Gjerlow's Language and the Brain; Jean
Aitchison's Seeds of speech. and The Language web; Several of R. L
Trask's volumes including Key concepts in Language and Linguistics;
Weisler and Milekic's Theory of Language; Fromkin and Rodman' An
Introduction to LAnguage; R. M. W. Dixon's two works The Rise and Fall
of Languages and A new Approach to English Grammar on Semantic
Principles; and of course Baugh' first and third edition with Cable A
History of The English Language. I have a few others but am now
zeroing in on my own theory of language that appears to be from left
field to some. I also inquired the news group sci.lang and got
some bizarre responses. Only one made sense from Arnold Zwicky who
concludes that my sources were off hand remarks and have little to do
with reality.

Does anyone know where I might find factual support for this claim?

Thank you; George Senf