12.22, FYI: NSF Funding Opportunities & News

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 8 22:44:07 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-22. Mon Jan 8 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.22, FYI: NSF Funding Opportunities & News

Editors: Karen Milligan, Wayne State U. <karen at linguistlist.org>
         Michael Appleby, E. Michigan U. <michael at linguistlist.org>
         Rob Beltz, E. Michigan U. <rob at linguistlist.org>
         Lydia Grebenyova, E. Michigan U. <lydia at linguistlist.org>
         Marie Klopfenstein, Wayne State U. <marie at linguistlist.org>
         Ljuba Veselinova, Stockholm U. <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:37:53 -0500
From:  "Catherine N. Ball" <cball at nsf.gov>
Subject:  NSF Funding Opps & News: Cognitive Neuroscience, ITR, etc.

Date:  Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:37:53 -0500
From:  "Catherine N. Ball" <cball at nsf.gov>

Dear Colleagues at U.S. Institutions,

I am pleased to announce several funding opportunities for U.S.
linguists and language scientists at the National Science Foundation
and to give you some other news. First, as you may know, the NSF
Program Director for Linguistics became a 1-2 year 'rotator' position
in Fall 1999, and my term ends this Spring. Following a successful
search, a new Program Director will be announced soon. I hope many of
you will consider a rotation at NSF in the future.

The Linguistics Program supports research in phonetics & phonology,
formal linguistics, descriptive & historical linguistics,
sociolinguistics, language acquisition, and psycholinguistics &
neurolinguistics. Funding includes grants for regular research,
doctoral dissertation research, conferences and workshops, and group
travel to international conferences; CAREER awards, small grants for
exploratory research, and minority research planning grants and
minority career advancement awards, as described in the NSF Grant
Proposal Guide and links on our webpage, at
http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/bcs/ling . Target dates for submission of
proposals are January 15 and July 15 each year. Proposals must be
submitted through an institution in the U.S.

Other important funding opportunities are listed below. Subscribe to
the NSF Custom News Service ( http://www.nsf.gov/home/cns/ ) to be
notified when program announcements or vacancy announcements are
issued!

* Cognitive Neuroscience: this new area of emphasis was announced in
a Jan. 5 'Dear Colleague' letter at
http://www.nsf.gov/cgi-bin/getpub?nsf0141 . Proposals may be submitted
through the Linguistics Program for the Jan. 15 target date. There is
also an April 16 deadline for proposals for pilot studies, planning
grants, workshops, and doctoral dissertation research.

* Information Technology Research ( http://www.itr.nsf.gov/ ): ITR is a
major funding area which cuts across all divisions at NSF. There are
opportunities here for computational linguistics, corpus linguistics,
digital archives, computational models, and so on. Deadline for
'small' proposals (<$500K) is Jan. 22-24.

* Major Research Instrumentation
( http://www.nsf.gov/od/oia/programs/mri/ ): The MRI program accepts
proposals for acquisition or development of research instrumentation.
Deadline is Feb. 7. Please note that the special Instrumentation
competition for the social and behavioral sciences has been
discontinued; future instrumentation proposals should be submitted to
MRI or (if under $100K) to Linguistics.

* Information Technology Workforce
( http://www.nsf.gov/cgi-bin/getpub?nsf0133 ): ITW welcomes proposals
that address research questions related to the under-representation
of women and minorities in the IT workforce. There are opportunities
here for computational linguistics, sociolinguistics, and so on.
Deadline is March 19.

* Graduate Teaching Fellows in K-12 Education
(http://www.nsf.gov/home/crssprgm/gk12): academic institutions apply
for these awards to support fellowship activities. This could be a
nice opportunity for linguistics to connect with K-12. Deadline for
letters of intent is April 3.

* Integrative Graduate Research & Education
( http://www.nsf.gov/home/crssprgm/igert ): IGERT provides doctoral
institutions with an opportunity to develop new, focused
multidisciplinary graduate programs that transcend organizational
boundaries and unite faculty from several departments or
institutions. Past awards have supported new graduate programs in the
cognitive science of language. Deadline for preproposals is June 28.

Other news: Linguistics at NSF is housed within the Division of
Behavioral and Cognitive Sciences. I am pleased to note that our new
Division Director is Dr. Philip Rubin (prubin at nsf.gov), a speech
scientist from Haskins Laboratories.

Finally, I hope many of you will join me in congratulating Paul
Chapin (pchapin at nsf.gov), Program Director of Linguistics for 24
years, who retires from NSF on January 15th. Paul received the LSA's
first Victoria A. Fromkin Distinguished Service Prize in a ceremony
on Friday Jan. 5th.

  -- Cathy Ball
Catherine N. Ball, Ph.D.
Program Director, Linguistics
Division of Behavioral & Cognitive Sciences
National Science Foundation
Rm. 995, 4201 Wilson Blvd., Arlington VA 22230
Phone: (703) 292-8731
cball at nsf.gov     http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/bcs/ling/
Attn PIs: FastLane submission req'd as of Oct. 1 2000!