12.66, Sum: Get/Have Particles

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 12 22:27:38 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-66. Fri Jan 12 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.66, Sum: Get/Have Particles

Reviews: Terence Langendoen: U. of Arizona <terry at linguistlist.org>
	 Simin Karimi: U. of Arizona <simin at linguistlist.org>

Editors: Karen Milligan, Wayne State U. <karen at linguistlist.org>
         Michael Appleby, E. Michigan U. <michael at linguistlist.org>
         Lydia Grebenyova, E. Michigan U. <lydia at linguistlist.org>
         Marie Klopfenstein, Wayne State U. <marie at linguistlist.org>
         Ljuba Veselinova, Stockholm U. <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:45:49 +0100
From:  "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyre at rz.uni-leipzig.de>
Subject:  Get/Have Particles

Date:  Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:45:49 +0100
From:  "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyre at rz.uni-leipzig.de>

Dear Linguists,

This summarises the responses to my query from a goodly while ago on the
verbs _get_, _have_ and verb particles. The original query can be found
here:

http://linguistlist.org/issues/11/11-1723.html

What I was interested in was literature dealing with the syntax and
semantics of _get_, which verb is closely related to the much-studied verbs
_be_ and _have_. Some uses of _get_ are inchoative versions of these verbs
(compare _I got/was cold, I got/had the book, we got/had them laughing, the
wall got/had mud on it_). The _get-have_ parallel is underlined by the fact
that more than a few uses of _have_ can be replaced by _have got_ (e.g.
_I've got the book, I've got to go_). Other parallels are seen in passive
(_he was/got killed_) and causative uses (_I had them sing/I got them to
sing_) and the inability of _get_ and _have_ to passivise in most uses (in
my variety, at least). Since there has been much work on _be_ and _have_,
one might expect much work on _get_, but the collective wisdom of the
Linguistlist membership has turned up little in the way of literature on
_get_ (apart from passives). The references which have anything to do with
_get_ which have reached me are given below. I haven't seen much of the
literature below yet; presumably these works will contain further