12.102, All: New Review Editors

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 18 03:41:33 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-102. Wed Jan 17 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.102, All: New Review Editors

Reviews: Terence Langendoen: U. of Arizona <terry at linguistlist.org>
	 Simin Karimi: U. of Arizona <simin at linguistlist.org>

Editors: Karen Milligan, Wayne State U. <karen at linguistlist.org>
         Michael Appleby, E. Michigan U. <michael at linguistlist.org>
         Lydia Grebenyova, E. Michigan U. <lydia at linguistlist.org>
         Marie Klopfenstein, Wayne State U. <marie at linguistlist.org>
         Ljuba Veselinova, Stockholm U. <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:35:05 -0500
From:  "Helen Aristar Dry" <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Subject:  New Review Editors

Date:  Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:35:05 -0500
From:  "Helen Aristar Dry" <hdry at linguistlist.org>

Dear Subscribers,

LINGUIST is delighted to announce that Terry Langendoen and
Simin Karimi have agreed to become LINGUIST List Review Editors,
replacing Andrew Carnie.

Andrew filled this post so ably that he increased the number of our
reviews from 4 in 1996 to 68 in 2000, but the dual role of Moderator
and Review Editor has become too time-consuming for him.
Happily, he will be continuing as a LINGUIST moderator.  So we can
welcome Terry and Simin to the LINGUIST crew with unalloyed
enthusiasm.  Each has provided us with a brief bio (below).

LINGUIST reviews books and software from supporting publishers.
If you are an author who would like your book or software reviewed
on LINGUIST, contact us to find out if your publisher is a LINGUIST
supporter.  If not, perhaps you can convince them to become one--
or, if necessary, special arrangements can be made for a single
book announcement and review.  Correspondence about the
reviewing process should be addressed to reviews at linguistlist.org.

Below are the bios of Terry and Simin.  We feel extremely fortunate
to have such distinguished colleagues now responsible for the
LINGUIST List review process.

With best wishes for a happy and prosperous new year,

Helen and Anthony

BTW:  have any of you used our new multilist search engine?
We've received no feedback on our "Christmas present"
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/multilist/searchall.html), and
we're interested in what you think.

                             ******************
Terry Langendoen is Professor of Linguistics at the University of
Arizona. Previously, he taught at Brooklyn College and the CUNY
Graduate Center, and before that at Ohio State University. He received
his PhD degree from MIT in 1964. In Boston, Columbus, Brooklyn,
Manhattan, and Tucson, he managed to join some choral group or other,
and he is particularly enthusiastic about his current group, the modestly
named "Tucson Mastersingers". His work in linguistics can be summed
up by the phrase "he keeps trying". His interests include mathematical
linguistics, syntax, semantics, and Native American linguistics

                             ***********************
Simin Karimi received her Ph.D. in Linguistics from the University of
Washington in 1989.  She has been employed at the University of
Arizona since 1990, where she is working now as an Associate Professor
in the Department of Linguistics.  Simin's research interests include
syntax, syntax-semantics - syntax-morphology - and - syntax discourse
interface.  She is specifically interested in scrambling languages
with a special focus on Persian.  Simin loves hiking, listening to
classical music, reading poetry (specifically in Persian and German).
She is also very interested in global politics.