12.123, Qs: Frequency List/Communication Aids, "Tra-la-la"

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 19 20:38:18 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-123. Fri Jan 19 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.123, Qs: Frequency List/Communication Aids, "Tra-la-la"

Reviews: Terence Langendoen: U. of Arizona <terry at linguistlist.org>
	 Simin Karimi: U. of Arizona <simin at linguistlist.org>

Editors: Karen Milligan, Wayne State U. <karen at linguistlist.org>
         Michael Appleby, E. Michigan U. <michael at linguistlist.org>
         Lydia Grebenyova, E. Michigan U. <lydia at linguistlist.org>
         Marie Klopfenstein, Wayne State U. <marie at linguistlist.org>
         Ljuba Veselinova, Stockholm U. <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Date:  19 Jan 2001 09:21:24 +0000
From:  Simon.Brownsell at bdgh-tr.trent.nhs.uk
Subject:  word frequency for communication aids

2)
Date:  Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:19:18 -0500
From:  Elizabeth Alexander <alexander at clarityconnect.com>
Subject:  Equivalents of the syllables: "tra-la-la"

Date:  19 Jan 2001 09:21:24 +0000
From:  Simon.Brownsell at bdgh-tr.trent.nhs.uk

Dear group,

I am trying to identify a list of commonly used words/phrases for
disabled people with communication aids.  I am aware of the word
frequency data that is available, but cannot locate specific
information for the group in question.

For example, a user may select "drink" and through speech synthesis
the result may be "I would like a drink please".  I am hoping to
identify the commonly used words/phrases so that we can incorporate
these into a speech recognition communication aid for people with
sever dysarthria (See http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~pdg/stardust/).
However, discussions with Speech and Language Therapists and
literature searching has not revealed a list.

Simon