12.258, Qs: Compensatory Shortening, Lang Maps on Web

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 31 14:35:37 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-258. Wed Jan 31 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.258, Qs: Compensatory Shortening, Lang Maps on Web

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU

Date:  Mon, 29 Jan 2001 06:40:55 -0800
From:  Todd O'Bryan <tdobryan at pacbell.net>
Subject:  Compensatory Shortening?

2)
Date:  Mon, 29 Jan 2001 06:56:11 -0800
From:  "Laura" <laura at scowcroft.com>
Subject:  Language Maps Avail ????

Date:  Mon, 29 Jan 2001 06:40:55 -0800
From:  Todd O'Bryan <tdobryan at pacbell.net>

Does anyone know of a language in which segments delete (either
synchronically or historically) because of the quality of other segments
nearby?

To give you some idea of what I'm looking for, my research partner and I are
looking at a group of dialects which had historical gemination, and kept it
if the consonant following the geminate was light (a tap 'r', glides, 't'),
but lost the gemination if the following consonant was heavy (an ejective, a
voiced obstruent). This strikes us as a little odd, so we're wondering if
something like this occurs in other languages.

Please respond directly to me with any information, and thanks a lot.

Todd O'Bryan
UC-San Diego
obryan at ling.ucsd.edu OR
tdobryan at pacbell.net